New Freshwater Predator Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Its been on order for about 10 weeks now but the stand and sump arrived today for my new tank. Unfortunately the freak rains on Friday meant that it was delayed so hopefully the tank comes tomorrow now.

Tank is 9ftx 3ftx 28" with a 6'x2'x2' sump. I'll be transferring the fish from my 6ft into it and they will now have more space to grow

Its a beast and I cannot wait to just get it up and running now. I have a load of alfagrog and sponge in my established tanks sump ready to transfer over plus I will add more alfagrog, set up one chamber for a K1 fluidised bed

It has a couple of D&D titanium heaters with D&D thermostat and an Evolution aqua varipump 20000. I will add a couple of wavemakers and I need to find a really powerful airpump or two as I want an air bubble plate plus to move the K1

Attachments

• tank 1.jpeg
    tank 1.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 63
  • tank 2.jpeg
    tank 2.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 16
  • tank 3.jpeg
    tank 3.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 14
Well the tank arrived Tuesday, 8 of us lifted it and it weighed a ton.

The company didn't plumb the pipework in which was frustrating as the last two companys I have used did. Also now its filled I have noticed that there is no wooden board under the polystyrene under the tank which I am not a fan of. Also the polystyrene is 5cm thick which seems too much and at one end compressed to 3cm. The tank front pane also hangs over the polystyrene. This is frustrating as to rectify this will mean emptying it all and somehow lifting a 400kg tank to take poly out and replace with a board and thinner poly disturbing all the pipe work etc. Emailed the company and nothing back from them as yet and google searches have thrown up a few people complaining and nothing being done about them

Anyway its filled, running and water warm

Attachments

• IMG_5133.jpeg
    IMG_5133.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5165.jpeg
    IMG_5165.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5181.jpeg
    IMG_5181.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 25
Curious when it's done... 👍

Hopefully if the 8 people that are supposed to come do arrive at mine then we are lifting the tank off the stand on to some pallets someone has lent me whilst I put the marine ply and polystyrene back on before lifting it back on

Not looking forward to it but will be relieved once done

Tank moved on Friday with marine ply and better polystyrene put underneath.

I had to replumb it all which I finished yeterday and the sump set up with alfagrog, sponge and K1

Filled it last night and checked for leaks and now its running with heaters on

Tank moved on Friday with marine ply and better polystyrene put underneath.

I had to replumb it all which I finished yeterday and the sump set up with alfagrog, sponge and K1

Filled it last night and checked for leaks and now its running with heaters on
It's always so exciting to see the whole tank project evolve...

Its running and I have transferred some fish over. Layout of the sump seems to work and it sits far better now I have adjusted it than the way it was left by the company who made it.

The arowana looks so much happier with the space to swim in which is lovely to see and the Tiger fish has less chance of hurting himself when he gets spooked

I will transfer over next week the Red tail Payara and Fire eel and the pair or rays the week after I cant wait to see them in there with the extra footprint

Attachments

• tank 1.1.jpeg
    tank 1.1.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 22
  • tank 2.2.jpeg
    tank 2.2.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 22
  • tank 3.3.jpeg
    tank 3.3.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 22
  • tank 4.jpeg
    tank 4.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 23
  • tank 5.jpeg
    tank 5.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 22
  • tank 6.jpeg
    tank 6.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 21
  • tank 7.jpeg
    tank 7.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 20
  • tank 8.jpeg
    tank 8.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 19
  • tank 9.jpeg
    tank 9.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 19
  • tank 10.jpeg
    tank 10.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 23
I live near Chattanooga, TN USA. They have a really nice aquarium, The Tennessee Aquarium, and one of the exhibits is a huge tank of River Giants (some 5-6 foot (ish) arapaima). I'm sure these guys are enjoying their new space. That bichir is something else -- looks like a dinosaur. I don't follow predators much, so very cool to see.

I live near Chattanooga, TN USA. They have a really nice aquarium, The Tennessee Aquarium, and one of the exhibits is a huge tank of River Giants (some 5-6 foot (ish) arapaima). I'm sure these guys are enjoying their new space. That bichir is something else -- looks like a dinosaur. I don't follow predators much, so very cool to see.
Thank you
I saw arapaima at Washington DC zoo last year when on holiday they look amazing but too big for my tank

bit of an update on this tank. The build quality still worries me. The board under the sump is sagging in the middle so I have tried to support it best I can and I measured the tank and the middle is 1cm wider than the two ends. I didnt measure before filling so for now I will just keep checking

Other than that I am happy with the fish and the growth they are gaining in this space
9ft 1.jpeg

9ft 2.jpeg

9ft 3.jpeg

9ft 4.jpeg

9ft 5.jpeg

9ft 6.jpeg

Couple of updated pics
IMG_9778.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8974.jpeg
    IMG_8974.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8965.jpeg
    IMG_8965.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8963.jpeg
    IMG_8963.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 3
I saw a huge arapaima en route to a public aquarium. I leaned over for a look and almost had my skull eaten. It was trying to get an angle on me. Amazingly beautiful, but wow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back