New Footage Of The Loch Ness Monster

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wendywc

Rocking a crabshell for a hat.
Reaction score
The new footage is pretty unremarkable, but it's not unheard of that there are never-before-seen creatures underwater. So what does everyone here think? Is the Loch Ness a rare, unseen creature or just whiskey dreams?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070531/ap_on_...u4Az5u17Wus0NUE
Man says he's got a new Loch Ness video
By BEN McCONVILLE, Associated Press Writer Thu May 31, 7:49 PM ET
EDINBURGH, Scotland - The Loch Ness monster is back — and there's video. A man has captured what Nessie watchers say is possible footage of the supposed mythical creature beneath Scotland's most mysterious lake.

"I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this jet black thing, about 45 feet long, moving fairly fast in the water," said Gordon Holmes, the 55-year-old a lab technician from Shipley, Yorkshire, who took the video Saturday.

Nessie watcher and marine biologist Adrian Shine viewed the video and hoped to properly analyze it in the coming months.

"I see myself as a skeptical interpreter of what happens in the loch, but I do keep an open mind about these things and there is no doubt this is some of the best footage I have seen," said Shine, of the Loch Ness 2000 center in Drumnadrochit, on the shores of the lake.

Holmes said whatever it was moved at about 6 mph and kept a fairly straight course.

"My initial thought is it could be a very big eel, they have serpent-like features and they may explain all the sightings in Loch Ness over the years."

Loch Ness is surrounded by myth. It's the largest inland body of water in Britain, and at about 750 feet to the bottom, it's even deeper than the North Sea.

"There are a number of possible explanations to the sightings in the loch. It could be some biological creature, it could just be the waves of the loch or it could some psychological phenomenon in as much as we see what we want to see," Shine said.

While many sightings can be attributed to a drop of the local whisky, legends of Scottish monsters date back to one of the founders of the Christian church in Scotland, St. Columba, who wrote of them in about 565 A.D.

More recently, there have been more than 4,000 purported Nessie sightings since she was first caught on camera by a surgeon on vacation in the 1930s.

Since then, the faithful have speculated about it is a completely unknown species, a sturgeon — even though they have not been native to Scotland's waters for many years — or even a last surviving dinosaur.

Real or imagined, Nessie has long been a Scottish emblem. She has been the muse for cuddly toys and immortalized on T-shirts and posters showing her classic three-humped image.

On Thursday, a group of Scottish business owners launched a bid to nominate Loch Ness for World Heritage site status — though they cited its natural beauty, not Nessie. The Destination Loch Ness consortium must submit the nomination to the British government, which would decide whether to forward it to UNESCO.

The Scottish media is skeptical of Nessie stories but Holmes' footage is of such good quality that even the normally reticent BBC Scotland aired the video on its main news program Tuesday.

cant really seee anything on the video at all, a shadow thats it, monster my ass :)

A bit like a Yeti I suppose, people believe but have never seen one.
I don't believe it myself but do like the fact that the mystery has been around for years and will continue for years to come. :)

I was pretty disappointed today when I saw the thing on Yahoo about new footage and clicked on it. I couldn't see anything but a shadow in the water.

i am not sure, anthing is possible. Escpecially, when the tsnuami hit, they found animals on the beachs that they have never seen before, so who is to say that this isnt the case here?

I probably shouldn't even say this...since I'm sure most of you won't believe me lol

Anyway, when I was in the 8th grade we went to Scotland (me, my parents, uncle). My uncle is a HUGE cryptozoology freak. We went to Loch Ness and I saw something. Not sure what it was I saw but it was pretty dang big. I know for a fact it wasn't a log or a school of fish or anything...

So yea...lol

Well I do believe in unseen creatures, but didn't the original photographer actually personally admit it was a fakie?

Escpecially, when the tsnuami hit, they found animals on the beachs that they have never seen before

If I recall, thats not actually the case. The critters were real, but washed up by the tsumani, no. And some of the photos were pretty old, certainly not new discoveries.

Anyway. I don't see any reason Nessie or anything else doesn't exist- new species are dicovered every day, and just because they're small (like new insects) or not considered 'interesting', doesn't make them any less valid. The fact is, if there weren't already reported sightings, the discovery of something in Loch Ness would probably be reserved for the 'weird and wonderful' side columns in the papers- a heading like 'new species of eel' or 'new species of reptile' probably wouldn't make national news, at least for not very long, whereas 'another nessie sighting' does.

The thing is that it's summertime here in the UK. The tourist season begins, and of course what does Scotland have....you've guessed it , the Loch Ness monster.
Has anyone heard of the Moray Firth monster???? No?,,,,shame on you.
It's again supposed to be related to Nessie. It's not so well known because the Moray Firth is a sea loch and there's a lot of shipping, and you've guessed it. The beastie is shy!
Now if you catch a touch of sarcism in my tone, that is because I've holidayed in Scotland, in particular around the Fort William area and I have not even caught a glimpse of anything unusual. Except for maybe a few drams of the good old fire water. Then not only monsters do I see but also fairies.

I would like to believe that pre-historic creatures exist, such as the "Kelpie" , but if such a massive creature should exist there would be some physical signs, not just the odd few humps in the water or something black rolling across the waves.
Loch Ness is incredibly atmospheric, especially in the morning mist and also when the rain is about to pour, and it does that a lot.
If you want to be a very sad person, there is a website dedicated to Nessie, and a permanent webcam trained on the loch.

I'm not a believer of the loch ness monster...I think for a start, to support a population of monsters in the loach you'd need at least 200-250 or so them to help prevent inbreeding, natural disasters or desease/parasites destroying and wiping out the population, so its funny that you don't see dozens of the animals swimming around. Not just that, but if its a cold blooded animal it would become very active during the summer when the warmer temps would affect its activity levels and metabolism and so would be surfacing all the time from the waters, and even if its a warm blooded animal, it would still need to bask in the sun to warm up and come to land to breed etc.

However, i do not doubt that there are a lot of weird things in the loch, like this toad which was found crawling along the bottom of the loch;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highla...nds/6618995.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highla...nds/6620369.stm

So no loch ness monster, but a loch ness toad lol.

But there are a still a lot of people desperate to prove the monsters existance, people have tried putting giant eels and turtles and planting fossil marine reptile skeletons near or in the loch ness to try and fool people into thinking they've seen nessie or add false evidence to the nessie supporters side of the debate etc.
Regardless of whether nessie exists or not, i'm sure the whole creates a lot of tourism and money for the loch ness community.

IF there is anything in the loch then its more likely to be a sturgeon finding its way in from the sea. Theres not enough fish in the loch to sustain anything larger than a seal.

IF there is anything in the loch then its more likely to be a sturgeon finding its way in from the sea. Theres not enough fish in the loch to sustain anything larger than a seal.
Maybe that's because the monster has already eaten them all or caught and stored them for later. Didn't you see the 1998 version of Godzilla with Matthew Broderick?

Maybe that's because the monster has already eaten them all or caught and stored them for later. Didn't you see the 1998 version of Godzilla with Matthew Broderick?

***shudders*** Did you have to remind me?!? :sick:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back