New Fish Added - Blue Ram Acting Strange

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mickyd

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I'm new to this forum and to the hobby (6months)
I have a 40 litre tank with 4 guppies , 4 rummy nose tetras, German blue ram and just added a brown ancistrus.

Since adding the new fish the blue ram has went everywhere with it, and I now chasing the other fish away from its new 'friend'

Is this natural behaviour or is he teeing him up for some supper later?
Micky

welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly why your ram is acting the way it is.

I did want to let you know though, that there are some issues with your stocking.

The ram, rummynose tetras, and pleco should be kept in a bigger tank, like 20g(76l)+.

Do you have a pic of the pleco, so someone can ID it for you?

Am not trying to come off as rude or harsh, just would rather you find this out now instead of later.

How long ago was he added to the tank? He might just be getting used to the new environment. 

I don't mean to be rude but this is something you might want to be aware of. Your tetras and guppies are considered community fish and have a peaceful temperament. You Ram is a cichlid and may have an aggressive temperament when he matures. Your fish may get along now but once the ram matures, he will become more aggressive toward the community fish and may even kill them. I strongly recommend separating them in the near future. Try to keep south american cichlids with other south american cichlids and community fish with other community fish. 

I hope everything works out!

Overstalked? Damn thought I was just under :(

Cannot get a good pic of him but this link is what he's like - http://www.fishforever.co.uk/ancistrus.html

The ram seems to be very friendly with my new fish

I plan to get another tank soon, once we clear out some more space at home.

There's so much conflicting information on the web :(

Mickyd said:
Overstalked? darn thought I was just under
sad.png

Cannot get a good pic of him but this link is what he's like - http://www.fishforever.co.uk/ancistrus.html

There's so much conflicting information on the web
sad.png
Cichlids will be nice at first....just don't wait too long to take action. From experience, I thought cichlids were friendly fish when they were young. Someone told me if I raised them together with community fish when they were all young and friendly, everything would be okay. NO!! Worst idea ever. After about a year my cichlid killed everything. I learned my lesson! Now I have strictly south american cichlids with other south americans and another tank with strictly africans and everything is okay. They might chase each other every now and then but it's in their nature to be like that. 

Mickyd said:
Overstalked? darn thought I was just under
sad.png

There's so much conflicting information on the web
sad.png
Yeah, sorry :/

If that is indeed what he looks like then he is a bristlenose pleco, and would want a 20g. I'm glad it's not a common which would need a much larger tank.
I still do think it'd be good to get a pic of yours (when you can) to be 100% sure.

Glad to know you have another tank in mind! 

It is definitely a bit overwhelming trying to pick through all the information and find what is right and what is wrong.

I always thought Rams were okay for a community tank but then again I havn't researched them at all. >.<

Thanks for the help guys, will be in touch soon with pic :)

Yeah I've had some german blue rams in the past. they are more on the friendly side when it comes to cichlids at least. I never had any issues with them and I had them with neon tetras. I was slightly understocked in a 55 gallon. So the tight space in your tank may make him a little more irritable. Hope this helps!

As far as following the pleco around. I have no idea. But I highly doubt he is going to bother him much.

Also, in regards to what Kiwi said. While The GBR is a cichlid its a dwarf south american cichlid not the much more aggressive cousins from africa. The south american cichlids tend to be more passive. Its also good you only have one as they can become aggressive during breeding.

Just be careful with your ram, I have had some friendly south americans and some not so friendly ones. Just keep an eye on him! Better safe than sorry! 

I've had both german blue rams and bolivian rams in my community tanks without issue. I had a pair of GBRs spawn and while, yes, they did their best to chase away the other fish, no one was ever actually nipped or harmed. So just one is just fine unless you get a crazy one. They'll get mean to other cichlids but not neons.

Not necessarily, I experimented with some tanks before and found that it really depends on the individual fish. I have seen some cichlids with a more gentle reputation attack and kill tetras and others have lived just fine together. Just try to be careful! 

sounds like hes just being a bit territorial its probably exaggerated as its a fairly small tank, I would imagine he should settle down after a bit though :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back