New Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Swampey40

Reaction score
Currently have a Rio 240 with internal filter unit as supplied by Juwel.....Decided want to go down the external route, was looking at Fluval 306, but the ratings of cheap plastics didnt impress me much plus others quote its not big enough for the size of my tank...

As one youtuber was quoting to say, its not about the brand its all about the media you have inside

So can anyone point me in the right direction on which cannister filter is a good option......

Fluval and Eheim are both pretty good brands but it depends on where you live and what is available to you. Whichever filter you get, make sure you can get spare parts for it easily. Some of the less common brands can be hard to get parts for, whereas the more common brands normally have spare parts in every country.

According to Dr Googley, you tank holds around 200-240 litres (depending on gravel thickness and water level) and the Fluval 306 does a bit over 1000 litre per hour so that should be suitable for you tank if it is freshwater with a neutral or acid pH. If you are keeping marine fish or Rift Lake cichlids or fish in alkaline water, you might want a bigger filter with a higher turnover rate to remove any ammonia asap.

---------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back