New Filter!

pieman

Fishaholic
Joined
Feb 18, 2006
Messages
452
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Wigan, England
Hi,

I bought a new filter today, and what i've done is taken the media out of the old filter and left it in the fish tank, and let the new filter do it's business.

Was this the right thing to do?

I know it's a bit late now but I thought i'd check.

Thanks :)
 
Why did you not leave the old filter running while the new filter was seeding?
 
In fact I would think that as the old media (& therefore bacteria) is used to a high flow of oxygenated water through it, just leaving it sitting in the tank may even cause some of that bacteria to start dying off. I don't know this for a fact, it's just what I would 'expect' to happen. :)
 
It would definitely help more to put some of the old media in the new filter. If that can't be done because of the filter design, try to get the old media in a place where the water will flow around it while going into the new filter. This will help with ammonia and nitrites because the old media is in the flow path and any bacteria that do come loose will be drawn into the new filter.
 
Because the new filter is a different make i'm not able to put all of the media into the filter, at the moment I have the loose media trapped on a plant directly in the flow path of the new filter, i'll see how this goes.
 
i posted the other day about this,to get info.what i did was put the new filter next to the old one,ie run the 2,then after a few weeks i will stop the old one,alls ok the waters fantastic.mine were 2 different makes i was going to,put the media into the other,new filter cut it to suit,but the mess about of restarting my old filter stoped me from doing that.hope you get yours sorted,,kenny
 

Most reactions

Back
Top