New Dwarf Gourami - Am I stressing out about nothing?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gary1

Reaction score
Hi,

yesterday I added my new Male Dwarf Gourami to my planted 20g tall. He's currently the only fish in the tank, he looks like he's doing fine appearance wise, he's eating the flake food I provided no problem, but he seems to be surfing up and down the glass pretty often, along with constantly opening and closing his mouth. I got really worried when I noticed this and did a 40% water change. (before and after the test water parameters were ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 10-15ish, but I did it anyways.) However I watched videos of other fish of the same species also opening and closing their mouth a lot, is this normal behavior for a Dwarf Gourami, and is the glass surfing just because he's stressed from moving tanks?

One more thing, he gets scared when I open the lid on the tank right now, so he doesn't come towards the surface for feeding yet. I don't have any other cleaner fish or shrimp in the tank yet to pick up what he doesn't see, so to prevent any raising in ammonia levels from uneaten food, I drop individual flakes in front of him to make sure none go uneaten. So my question is - How many flakes should I feed him, this morning and night I gave him 3 large flakes, is this plenty? If not let me know.

Sorry for this being a tiny bit lengthy, but I appreciate any advice.

It is common for new fish to glass surf when put in a new clean tank. Fish don't know what glass is and it takes them a while to work out there is a wall that they can see through. Some fish also see their reflection in the glass and display to it. Nothing to worry about and it should stop in a week or two.

If the tank is newly set up, then only feed the fish a couple of times a week until the filter has cycled (developed the good bacteria needed to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm). then you can feed it more often.

Turn the tank lights on a few hours before feeding and open the lid 5-10 minutes before feeding. Then crumble up a bit of flake food and offer a few crumbles. They won't normally eat a flake because it is too big, but if you break it up a bit, it is easier for them to swallow.

--------------------
TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day. Use a timer if possible.

It is common for new fish to glass surf when put in a new clean tank. Fish don't know what glass is and it takes them a while to work out there is a wall that they can see through. Some fish also see their reflection in the glass and display to it. Nothing to worry about and it should stop in a week or two.

If the tank is newly set up, then only feed the fish a couple of times a week until the filter has cycled (developed the good bacteria needed to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm). then you can feed it more often.

Turn the tank lights on a few hours before feeding and open the lid 5-10 minutes before feeding. Then crumble up a bit of flake food and offer a few crumbles. They won't normally eat a flake because it is too big, but if you break it up a bit, it is easier for them to swallow.

--------------------
TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day. Use a timer if possible.
Thank you :)

One more thing, the tank currently has a HOB filter, the water flow is a bit powerful for some of the dwarf water lettuce I have, it blows it around in a circle constantly, is there a way to reduce the flow? I've been thinking of cutting up and stuffing a very coarse sponge into the output of the filter to slow the flow, would this work? I don't want to accidently make it flood though, thank you for the help.

What kind of HOB do you have?

Is the tank filled up to the waterfall on the HOB?

What kind of HOB do you have?

Is the tank filled up to the waterfall on the HOB?
Its the Marineland Penguin 150, I have it filled up all the way to the waterfall, the noise was annoying otherwise.

Not familiar with that one, is the flow adjustable?

Ahhh, it's one of those "biowheel" types, I see...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, those filters don't lend themselves to much, if any, modification

I've never owned one, maybe because I've not seen many favorable reviews on them

Yeah, those filters don't lend themselves to much, if any, modification

I've never owned one, maybe because I've not seen many favorable reviews on them
Kind of a beginner here - What modifications do you put on a HOB filter other than changing filter media? Personally I've had a really good experience with this filter overall, it has lasted a while without any trouble, and seems to keep my tank clean.

I like the AquaClear filters...adjustable flow, and highly customizable with media...it's just an open basket, you can use whatever media you choose....basic, simple design, easy to maintain and clean

I like the AquaClear filters...adjustable flow, and highly customizable with media...it's just an open basket, you can use whatever media you choose....basic, simple design, easy to maintain and clean
Neat, if I have to replace this one I'll look into one of these, otherwise, I might get some suction cups, stick them to the side of the tank, and attach something like this to them, then just place it around the water lettuce, so It doesnt move around much

Neat, if I have to replace this one I'll look into one of these, otherwise, I might get some suction cups, stick them to the side of the tank, and attach something like this to them, then just place it around the water lettuce, so It doesnt move around much
I recommend them, I have 6 of them, never had an issue with any

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back