New Bichir And Pics

Ficious

Fish Addict
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
947
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Des Moines, IA
after a long day at the pet store i finally knew what i wanted. i was having a hard time because i currently own a GSP. i wanted to get rid of him because i didnt want to have only 1 in my 20 gallon and 2 is too many. so i ended up with a lot of vallesneria, a banana plant, and a senegal bichir.

also any tips for the bichir are welcome, i want him to be happy

i know SB's and GSP's are going to get too big for a 20 gallon but i will either buy a bigger tank or trade them in (i get bored of my fish usualy).

i love this little bichir and cant wait to show him off to my family and friends.

i am still deciding on a name for him

bichir.jpg



this is Henry my GSP, doesnt he look like a Henry?


GSP.jpg


this is my betta, i love him to death but cannot decide a name. he is usualy jet black but has blue, white, and red that come out with the right lighting.

betta.jpg


this is the GSP and SB's 20 gallon. 30 gallon 3 stage filter (150GPH), sand substrate

justplanted.jpg


this is an odd shot of my 36

community-1.jpg


2 of my 5 tanks (the 20 gallon in this pic wasnt completed yet)

2tanks.jpg



comments welcome! also any ideas on names for the bichir and betta?? the betta name is driving me crazy and i cant think of anything for him.
 
your tanks both look spot on. as the bichir grows your puffer may become food!! I've had a senegal and I now have an Ornate and I find them to be top predators and find they like to follow and bite other fish in an attempt to eat them even if a bigger size
 
That bichir will need at least a 30 gallon eventually, but if you put him in the larger tank, I see some fish disappearing in the future.

They are great predators, even though they are practically blind. They have an awesome sense of smell and usually start going nuts when they smell food hitting the water. They will eat anything and a varied diet of meaty foods is the key to keeping them happy, along with clean water.

They are great fish! I have 8 different bichir species and I love them all to bits. Definitely my favs. :good:
 
That bichir will need at least a 30 gallon eventually, but if you put him in the larger tank, I see some fish disappearing in the future.

They are great predators, even though they are practically blind. They have an awesome sense of smell and usually start going nuts when they smell food hitting the water. They will eat anything and a varied diet of meaty foods is the key to keeping them happy, along with clean water.

They are great fish! I have 8 different bichir species and I love them all to bits. Definitely my favs. :good:

do you keep ornates/ I've had mine 2 years and he rarely ventures out n light
 
That bichir will need at least a 30 gallon eventually, but if you put him in the larger tank, I see some fish disappearing in the future.

They are great predators, even though they are practically blind. They have an awesome sense of smell and usually start going nuts when they smell food hitting the water. They will eat anything and a varied diet of meaty foods is the key to keeping them happy, along with clean water.

They are great fish! I have 8 different bichir species and I love them all to bits. Definitely my favs. :good:

do you keep ornates/ I've had mine 2 years and he rarely ventures out n light
Yep, I've got an ornate. Since my tank is pretty bare, she's out a lot, but mostly stays in the corner, behind the overflow. Sometimes she can get pretty protective of her spot and chase other bichirs out the area, trying to nip them.

I think I'm pretty fortunate that she's active. I've heard of people's ornates just sitting around under the driftwood all day.
 
That bichir will need at least a 30 gallon eventually, but if you put him in the larger tank, I see some fish disappearing in the future.

They are great predators, even though they are practically blind. They have an awesome sense of smell and usually start going nuts when they smell food hitting the water. They will eat anything and a varied diet of meaty foods is the key to keeping them happy, along with clean water.

They are great fish! I have 8 different bichir species and I love them all to bits. Definitely my favs. :good:

do you keep ornates/ I've had mine 2 years and he rarely ventures out n light
I've heard of people's ornates just sitting around under the driftwood all day.

sounds like mine!!lol
 
That bichir will need at least a 30 gallon eventually, but if you put him in the larger tank, I see some fish disappearing in the future.

They are great predators, even though they are practically blind. They have an awesome sense of smell and usually start going nuts when they smell food hitting the water. They will eat anything and a varied diet of meaty foods is the key to keeping them happy, along with clean water.

They are great fish! I have 8 different bichir species and I love them all to bits. Definitely my favs. :good:

do you keep ornates/ I've had mine 2 years and he rarely ventures out n light
I've heard of people's ornates just sitting around under the driftwood all day.

sounds like mine!!lol
I've found that mine seems to be more active with the other bichirs in there. She especially likes to hang out with the teugelsi, usually laying on top of her. :lol:
 
Invader you look a lot like the chick on mythbusters

its probably just the pic but i thought id throw that out there :shifty:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top