New African dwarf frog

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Amy821us1

Reaction score
Hi! I am totally new to this forum and also the fish world! Yesterday I bough a African dwarf frog who is cohabitating with a few other fish in a ten gallon tank! I called the pet store last night because I was concerned because at first he was swimming around a bit and now heā€™s just laying there in the tank! Heā€™s still alive and moves to different places when Iā€™m not looking but I swear there was about five or six times I thought he was dead yesterday and he wasnā€™t! The pet store told me that this isnā€™t uncommon for them to do that!! Is this true? I was actually considering going today and picking up one of his mates as a buddy for him but Iā€™m not sure now because I donā€™t want to purchase sick African dwarf frogs! Sure if heā€™s sick, more than likely his roomies were also since they all were in the same tank! Thank you

Should I get a different tank and transfer him to it and well obviously add a new dwarf frog to it?

Attachments

• 77C6CA0B-B9A8-408C-B1DE-344E1725F861.jpeg
    77C6CA0B-B9A8-408C-B1DE-344E1725F861.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 225
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Frogs should be kept in their own tanks and not mixed with fish, shrimp or anything else.

If the fish get sick, the medications used to treat them will normally kill the frogs.

Frogs need really clean water and fish will make an aquarium dirtier compared a tank that only containing frogs. That doesn't mean frogs are clean, but the fewer organisms in the frog tank, the cleaner it will be and the less chance of the frogs getting sick.

Some fish will pick at the frogs.

Frogs will eat anything that fits in their mouth including fish, shrimp and snails.

----------------------
Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate any day there is any ammonia or nitrite reading above 0, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back