Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Additions To A Fully Grown Severum

Discussion in 'New World Cichlids' started by ZoddyZod, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ZoddyZod

ZoddyZod Constantly learning
    Retired Moderator

I've got a well established (loosely) South American community tank (300L) and I'm looking for potential SA cichlid additions. Previously I had 6 angels and an orange Sev that was introduced when small. He/she is now a good 7-8 inches and I only have 2 angels remaining. Complete stock is below.

I'd like to add another medium to Sev size cichlid but I'm wary about adding any to the tank which the Sev now 'owns'. I've thought about the following - any watchouts or other suggestions?

Blue acara
    More angels
    Thorichthys ellioti
    Pearl Cichlid

other inhabitants are..

Bronze corys, rummynose tetra, 3 Bolivian Rams

2. RobRocksFishTank

RobRocksFishTank Moved On

Adding new angels might be difficult unless the new ones outnumber the ones you have.

Have you considered adding more than one of the other cichlids to spread out any possible aggression from the severum?

3. blueacara

blueacara Mostly New Member

hey i would say imo put in a few blue acaras 2-3 and maybe another sev just remember when i had cichlids a while ago when i introduce new fish i always rearranged the decor or rock and there were almost no aggression 

4. snowflake311

snowflake311 Fish nerd

A Cichlid that has been ruler of the tank for a year or more is no longer fooled by the tank rearranging.  What I have found to be the best way to add more Cichlids of any kind is get young ones. Make sure the ones you are getting at about half the size or even smaller than half the size of the biggest fish. 

If you want to add Angel fish it is easy if you add in some that are the size of a quarter or silver dollar not bigger. 

Adults tend to be more excepting of younger less experienced fish.