Jewel cichlid injuring other large cichlid

I completely agree with @GaryE in post #13. I have frequently advised members not to combine cichlid species when it has to do with neotropical species (SA dwarfs are a bit different, maybe) or the Africans other that rift lake cichlids. These cichlids never see one another in their respective habitats, and while their natural inherent behaviours play out well with their own species and the few other species in such large watercourses, they become stressed out and frustrated in the small confines of even the largest aquarium.

@Wills posted as I have been typing, and mentions something else I intended saying, concerning the introduction of one fish that completely upset the applecart. With such inherently territorial fish this is a recipe for disaster, as it has unfortunately played out here.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input and will not focus too much energy on trying to make it work. I have a home for male jewel to go to so need to figure out female jewel if nobody wants a pair. Although female jewel has not shown any aggression to any tank mates so it is possible that maybe she will be ok for a bit. However I am anticipating that that will not be the case so will see if I can line her up something too.

They are stunning fish but that tends to be the thing with pretty fish...they can also be pretty nasty.

In the meantime I will focus on nursing chocolate cichlid back to health. Any tips? I have used melafix for the last couple of days for him and will continue to do so for the recommended time period. Lights are off and he has his own area where he cannot be accessed. His fins are clamped obviously although they have loosened up a bit today compared to yesterday. He is not eating today but he did eat yesterday morning so I'm not too worried about that at the moment.

Well it seems like you have this pretty much sorted out, except you asked for tips when it comes to nursing back to health. Honestly, frequent water changes and food will do the trick.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input and will not focus too much energy on trying to make it work. I have a home for male jewel to go to so need to figure out female jewel if nobody wants a pair. Although female jewel has not shown any aggression to any tank mates so it is possible that maybe she will be ok for a bit. However I am anticipating that that will not be the case so will see if I can line her up something too.

They are stunning fish but that tends to be the thing with pretty fish...they can also be pretty nasty.

In the meantime I will focus on nursing chocolate cichlid back to health. Any tips? I have used melafix for the last couple of days for him and will continue to do so for the recommended time period. Lights are off and he has his own area where he cannot be accessed. His fins are clamped obviously although they have loosened up a bit today compared to yesterday. He is not eating today but he did eat yesterday morning so I'm not too worried about that at the moment.
The male may not keep his gorgeous color without a girlfriend. They are quite plain when not mating

The male may not keep his gorgeous color without a girlfriend. They are quite plain when not mating
Ah that will be interesting to see. This person only wants the male unfortunately. I have caught him ready to go this morning and the chocolate cichlid has instantly perked up. His wounds look like they are doing well too.

So far female is still continuing to cause no bother to any tank mates at all, she is actually quite wary of the severum and moves out of the way for him, so I will keep an eye on her.

Ah that will be interesting to see. This person only wants the male unfortunately. I have caught him ready to go this morning and the chocolate cichlid has instantly perked up. His wounds look like they are doing well too.

So far female is still continuing to cause no bother to any tank mates at all, she is actually quite wary of the severum and moves out of the way for him, so I will keep an eye on her.
Thats good - removing a dominant fish will change things though so just keep an eye on the rest. Tough choice but I think its the right one in this situation.

Wills

Make sure you keep us updated 😊
I've actually just made another thread to ask for opinions on sex, I probably should have just posted here. Still no change in behaviour from the remaining jewel but it is now colouring up a bit, the colour on the body has deepened and the fins are brighter than they were. Now wondering if I had two males.
Chocolate cichlid is doing well and wounds are healing.

We have a friend caring for the fish next week for us while we are away and I am a bit nervous about this one being male and things going pear shaped in the few days I won't be overseeing the tank...

Attachments

• 324472233_1330127767762815_62251136814947339_n.jpg
    324472233_1330127767762815_62251136814947339_n.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 9
Update.

All is well in the tank. The female jewel is as she was, not causing any problems (hasn't coloured up any more so still assuming that it is female).
The chocolate is healing well, his tail is regrowing, eating well and no problems swimming about.

Sad news, the jewel began wreaking havoc today so has gone on to its new home. Suspect it may have been a male that was taking his time to colour up. Today was significantly more colourful and fins also looked different. Was chasing every tank mate around and also had a go at the chocolate (poor guy can't catch a break!).

And so ends my jewel cichlid journey.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back