New 90g Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Figment

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am geting back into the hobby after a few years. I am seting up a new 90g bow front tank and have a few questions.

1- For fishless cycling is there any dosage lists out there. how much to add per gallon of water? or is it all just testing till you get the right amounts?

2- I want to have a few plants in my tank. I have ordered a Current USA Satellite Dual 36" 2x96 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/Lunar Light. What kinds of plants will do well with that amount of light. You are most likely going to ask me about what fish I am going to do, and we have not decided yet. it could be a large community tank or a couple of oscars and a pleco.

3- I ordered a RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister Filter is that alone going to be sufficent filtration?

4- my house has a large water softener in the garage. Is that going to cause problems with my tap water?

I have always been one to rush my new tanks in the past and I want to do it the right way this time so any help would be great.

1. I put 3 teaspoons in to have my 55G have NH4 at 4 ppm. Try 1.5 table spoons (3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon) and see where that gets you

2. I don't know didly about plants

3. sufficient filtration is the filter's GPH = 4 Volume of the tank

4. It shouldn't be too bad unless you know the softner adds alot of unwanted chemicals into the water. If this is the case, you could plumb in a spout before the water line gets to the softner and take water from there or buy an RO unit which will take everything and anything except the hydrogen and oxygen out of the water.

Most reactions

Back