New 80cm Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DevUK

UKAPS member
Reaction score
Some may know I've been wanting to move my livebearers and other fish from their 60cm tank as it was getting crowded. Over the weekend I've been prepping and finally, today I've got it up and running :)

Here are some pics:

The layout I'd decided on yesterday:

layout_front.jpg

layout_side.jpg

One large lump of Microsorum "Needle". This started out as a load of small rizhomes bought from AquaticMagic last year I believe, left overs from the larger bunch. They have since grown a lot! Probably 5x as much there. The best part is they have been shoved at the back of the 60cm tank so I've not really noticed how much they've grown...

microsorum_needle.jpg

And a "final" shot after I'd finished filling it:

final_filled.jpg

As you can see, I adjusted the right hand wood. To be honest, I had problems keeping it steady. There are now several small bits of AE aquascapping rock holding it up :lol:

Stats wise, not much to say really. Still a work in progress. I'm hoping I can continue the very easy maintenance of the 60cm, which had no CO2, TPN+ every now and then and a water change once or twice a month. I might up the maintenance on this though as I suspect I won't be that lucky with it!

So:
Ehemi Pro 2222 filter (temporary, will swap out for my Tetratec EX700 when I can)
2x 18w T8 tubes (need replacing and need reflectors) - Arcadia i-Bar
Topica substrate topped with Unipac Zambezi sand
Microsorum "Needle" and another (not sure if it's normal or another)
Crypt. Parva/Wendtii/Balansae/Other (not sure, will get ID)
"Flame" moss/Other moss.

Fish:
Red lace snakeskin guppys
Sparkling gouramis
Corydorus Habrosus + 1 Hastatus and 1 pygmaeus (LFS rescue - I want more of each!)
Coffee bean rasbora (Boraras maculatus)
Redline rasbora (Rasbora pauciperforata)
Dwarf platties
Japonica/Amano shrimp
1 huge apple snail

I'll be having the Hydrocotyle floating again as I really liked how this looked, and it gave it a nice moody feeling :)

I've just finished moving all the fish and thankfully they're all settling in OK. My corys are all starting to swim about on the sandy area :) Also, the guppys are chasing each other around as normal. I'm hoping the redline rasbora become more active. They didn't have a whole lot of room to swim in the last tank, and seem to be enjoying the space. The coffee beans look great shoaling mid-front. Not too close together but nice to see them seperate into two groups, then join up again.

I've just heard one of the sparkling gouramis croaking, and I can see them displaying at each other. A bonus of moving everything from one tank to another is that I've discovered I have 4 gouramis. Originally I had 6, and after a few months I was only able to count 3 so I figured they'd killed off some of the others. Pleasant suprise to find an extra one :) I also found 8 or 9 new guppy fry survivors. They look to be about a week old or less.

It's really nice to be able to see the fish! They were so well hidden in the last tank, with the Hydrocotyle filling in the top level. This tank is deeper. I've also managed to raise the light bar a little more than in the pic, so I can raise the water level another inch tomorrow.

Another pic tomorrow :)

Great, as always! I love the way you aquascape. You've definitely got a great eye. Can't wait to see the next picture.

The coffee beans look great shoaling mid-front.
This made me giggle. :lol:

nice tank.

Thought I'd add some pics from this morning (I really should be on the way to work by now :lol: )

Full frontal:
full_front_01.jpg

Rasbora shoaling:
shaoling.jpg

rasbora_shoal.jpg

Gouramis eyeing each other up (nice blue eyes):
sparkling_gouramis.jpg

Another full frontal. The tank is sitting on a shelf full of vinyl... Hope it doesn't leak!
full_front_02.jpg

Looking good matey-- :good: I like the open effect-sometimes too many plants look great and others can look cluttered-reckon you've got it spot on there.

Thanks :) I'm hoping it'll grow out a bit in the corners. There are several crypts in the left corner that should thicken out. I'm going to add a few more plants in the foreground and around the edges of the "path" areas but not too much :)

Unless he's seen this post then no. Not been in touch with Gill for a few weeks. I must PM him and see how he's doing :)

That is a great mix of fish. They compliment each other and the tank layout. Again, fantastic job! :good:

I can't wait to see this in a few weeks time, when the plants have had a chance to grow out a bit.

Lookin good. Whats the plant on the surface?

I Should have read 'Hydrocotyle'.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back