New 30gallon Tank Come Read!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

colbat0

Moved On
Reaction score
:drool: HI! I GOT A 30GALLON TANK FROM SELLIN STUF ON YABE(YABE BACKWORDS)AND I GOT A 30GALLON TANK! COME POST WHAT YOUR THINK I SHOULD PUT IN IT :rolleyes:

Up to you. What limits do you have, such as price for the animal, price for equipment etc.?
I'm hoping to get a breeding quad of green anoles for one of my 30Gs, but most tree frogs will be ok in a tank that size.
Paul

You should read up on these articles at the least first;

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=10099

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=73365

This site will also be of much help to you as your narrow down the options on what sorts of critters you want in your tank;

http://www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk/Sh...p.htm~mainFrame

Also check out the fish index on the forum itself near the top of the main forum page- also remember that there are loads of other pinned articles and things around the forum too etc.
Once you have narrowed down what sort of inhabitants you are at least curious or interested in, it'll be easier for us to help you as there's a wide range of fish and critters that can go in a 30gal :good: .

ive got plants and filter un stuf today i ave £50 left to spend on em shall i got like 100 neon tetras?

Neons may be small, but they need space like any other fish. I'm no expert, but 100 neons in 33 gallons sounds like way too much. According to the 1" per gallon rule, you'd need a 150 gallon tank for that many fish at their adult size.

If you just want neons you could fit a maximum of 30-40 depending on the exact length and width of the tank (by the way, whta is the length, width and height of the tank?), but you'd definately need to fishless cycle the tank with pure ammonia first before you put any fish into it (check out the links i gave you). But i wouldn't really advise doing such a thing because;

a. Neons in general aren't very hardy fish, they can't cope well with unstable tank conditions that newly set up tanks so often suffer, and they often die at the first sign of ammonia, nitrites or excessive nitrates over 40. A lot of people (including me) only really advise them for tanks at least 6months mature because only at this stage is the tank safe enough and established enough to keep such fish with minimal risk of the tank encountering water quality problems etc.
b. Such a large amount of tetras would instantly stock the tank to its limits. If neons are the only fish that interest you, then thats fine, but a lot of people would want more than neons in their tank as although they are very attractive fish, they are not the most interesting of fish at times.
c. The more fish you buy at once the greater the risk of them bringing in deseases undetected because of the more fish you have to keep an eye on. Noticing whitespot symptoms for example on a single neon or two amoungst 40 odd of them would be very difficult- the quicker you ID and treat deseases and things the better, but doing such a thing on a giant shoal of neons would be very difficult etc.

Personally, if you like neon tetras i'd only go for 6-10 of them once the tank is established enough so you still have plenty of space left in the tank for stocking other fish and critters :thumbs: .

yea dudes i filled it with diffent gupies the tank has been set up 4 2weeks and has had cycle every 3 days

yea dudes i filled it with diffent gupies the tank has been set up 4 2weeks and has had cycle every 3 days

You can't cycle a tank with the product "cycle" alone, water quality simply doesn't work that way, how many guppys have you added and have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates yet? You should definately read up on this article on treating and avoiding new tank syndrome as otherwise you will probably encounter numerous problems with your guppys which could even end up dying;

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=10099

erm 15 guppies :unsure:

Then there will be really bad ammonia (and perhaps nitrite) problems starting to occur in the tank- i can't make you read the article i just gave you in my previous post, but unless you want to start losing your guppys, you need to read it to learn about water quality in tanks and other stuff to prevent your guppys from falling sick and/or dying.

slapped head 20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times they seem fine

slapped head 20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times they seem fine

For now. You need to take things more seriously if you want to be a good fishkeeper (which a large part of it is about being responsable over your fish)- go read the article in the link i gave you, i don't want to lecture you, but its for yours and your fishes own good- i can imagine that your fish are not feeling too good right now.

they seem to be very active

There's a major difference between being alive and actually thriving though- activity levels is only one small aspect of judging a fishes health, there are many other factors. I cannot express more the importance of you buying an accurate test kit for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates right now :nod: .

Most reactions

trending

Back