New 240L tank fish stocking thoughts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

oafish

Reaction score
Hi, I have my new tank, not decorated or filled yet so have a good while to go yet before fish are going in but I've started to think about options.

I'd like a few attractive larger fish and maybe a school of tetra or similar. I'd like to avoid breeding of larger fish (at least for now) so happy to have single specimens. Most likely I'll be bringing them in as juveniles.

Thoughts so far for the fish I like were:
-Electric blue acara
-Angel fish
-Bristlebise pleco
-Cardinal tetra (or other bright schooling fish that is lower risk of being eaten)

I also like the rainbow shark or redtail shark but not sure of compatibility with the others.

As well as compatibility / alternatives, is there any advice of number of each in a 240L tank? I'll be using an Aquael ultramax 2000 so will have plenty of filtration. The tank will have a hardscape and probably some live plants (tbc).

The stocking seems ok to me Iā€™d stick with one of each of the angle eba and , angles and eba should mix just fine after a hierarchy is established ,cichlid rivalry can Be unpredictable but with a 240l and two cichlids there should be room to avoid the aggression , choosing tetras with angles can also be hit and miss a lot of tetra love to nip fins and angles have lovely long fins to nip at keeping a larger group should keep the nipping amongst themselves then you need to buy them large enough that they are not food for the cichlids iv had neons rated by eba cardinals may work being a little larger , Iā€™d either add both cichlids at the same time and let them decide the pecking order or Iā€™d decide for them and add one 50% larger than the other they wonā€™t compete if thereā€™s an obvious winner

Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on how many tetra would be appropriate and also any thoughts on the redtail or rainbow shark being in the mix, or could that be a bridge too far as I heard they might clash with the pleco?

I personally wouldnā€™t add a rainbow or red tail youā€™d get away with it but I just wouldnā€™t being Asian , Iā€™d get at least 8 tetra Iā€™d get 12 juveniles let them grow out

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back