New 10 Gal. Tank, Need advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

John H

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have decided to join the fish hobby! I am currently building up my 10 gallon betta tank with plants such as anubias gold coins and scarlet temple. My carpet is gonna be baby dwarf tears without co2, but I am buying a strong light and new glass lid for my plants. Will this be ok? As for my fish, this tank is mainly for my future betta, I was wondering if I could have 5 neon tetras, a couple ghost shrimp, and a snail with my betta. Or will that be too much and overcrowded. If it is, please be free to leave tips and let me know how I can adjust my tank. Big thanks! Excited to join the hobby. :)

-John

Speaking from experience, I found that my Betta preferred his own tank. He used to hide in my 10 gallon tank which also housed 5 Harlequin rasboras and a neon tetra. Once I moved him to his own 5 gallon tank, he was a happy camper...spending much more time out in the open.

Perhaps you could pick up a 5 gallon glass tank just for the Betta and then put some small tetras and a snail in the 10 gallon. They sell a 5 gallon glass aqua culture tank on Walmart site for just $30 including filter, light, and lid. A heater would be extra. And that includes delivery in the USA.

Last edited:
Speaking from experience, I found that my Betta preferred his own tank. He used to hide in my 10 gallon tank which also housed 5 Harlequin rasboras and a neon tetra. Once I moved him to his own 5 gallon tank, he was a happy camper...spending much more time out in the open.

Perhaps you could pick up a 5 gallon glass tank just for the Betta and then put some small tetras and a snail in the 10 gallon. They sell a 5 gallon aqua culture tank on Walmart site for just $30 including filter, light, and lid. A heater would be extra. And that includes delivery in the USA.
Thanks for the info! I'll probably just be adding some shrimps and a snail then, maybe further along I'll get another tank.

yes...that would be good...I'm sure your Betta will do better without other fish swimming around

That little tank Fishmanic mentioned from Walmart is a heck of a deal for what you get. I have 2 myself and bought a 3rd for a friend.

That little tank Fishmanic mentioned from Walmart is a heck of a deal for what you get. I have 2 myself and bought a 3rd for a friend.
Is the light good enough to grow any plants?

It would work for low light plants such as anubias

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back