Nerite snail shell deteriorating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks. I'll look into calcium supplements and how it affects the balance of the aquarium. I need to be sure whatever I do will be okay for the shrimp and neon tetra.

And just to add, yes, I do believe we should not own any pets. Cats and dogs have been domesticated over hundreds of years so there is a bit of an exception there. Rescue pets are fine by me as well if they are placed in a better environment.

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate and love communities like these. We are all here to help each other. I just have an issue with the unregulated industry and clueless people out there who take on this hobby not knowing anything about it, myself included. It's almost like we need to have a license first before owning fish. Something needs to be done about the pet industry and more people need to be aware of what goes on BEHIND THE SCENES of this hobby.

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animal-issues/companion-animals-factsheets/fish-tanks-thanks/

Compassion for all life!
oh god she saw the peta.org junk :l yea I went through that 1 night phase to... felt bad then I was like: Well im make things better by improving the aquarium and fish I own and will own.
in other words I moved on an removed the stick from out my body.
Also about the link where you said your selling your fish, congratz (serious congratz) but I think it was completely unnecessary to point out that other guys sale, completely unnecessary. Maybe he is getting rid of his stock because He just found out that those fish of his is something he obviously cant take care of. its better to come to those terms than saying "hey ill flush these guys down the toilet" so be thankful rather than complaining and complaining over an over again, complaining and being negative doesn't make a difference to anything. now im not saying be happy and all yippy and stuff but, you get my point. Also cant say im a vegan, I practically eat an 8oz burger every day for dinner and sausage with bacon and eggs for breakfast. I went vegetarian once and it was good for a bit there, but I eventually missed steak and hamburgers on the grill, and butchering my own chickens & ducks on the farm. To this day I do that ^ and I love it. also when your vegan you cant eat any products related to animals right? like cheese and such?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read algae wafers have calcium in it, along with spinich or any dark green leaves.

yes plants and algae have calcium. The plant needs a small amount to live. The amount your would get would not be enough to resolve the situation. also your regular water change will remove much of the calcium you have added with by feeding food.

usually give my inverts a calcium block, the particular brand I buy doesnt change the PH or GH of your water

GH is a measure of how much calcium and magnesium is in the water. Adding calcium will alway increase GH. How much edsolves in the water will determine how big the affect will be. Depending on the form of calcium and how much resolves in the water will determine the affect on PH. If the calcium doesn't resolve well it will have minimal affect on GH, KH, and PH. If it dissolves easily it will have a big affect on GH. The PH, CO2 and form of calcium you have will determine how resolves in the water. If the calcium is in the form of calcium oxide or calcium carbonate it will affect KH and PH.

Calcium and magnesium carbonate will have little to no solubility in at a ph of 7 or higher and will have a very small effect on PH,GH, and KH. Many test kits would not have enough resolution to detect the change in PH, GH, and KH. However if the PH is 4 or 5 soft water could be converted to hard water by adding these carbonate. PH will go up, GH can reach 300, and KH will increase. Calcium sulfate will behave similarly but have no affect on PH, and KH.

You are adding CO2 to your tank.which can increase the affect of carbonates. However if you stop the CO2 the amount of calcium, magnesium, and potassium in the water will dominate the affect on PH and KH. If the PH gets close to 7, Just put crushed coral in the water and that would stabilize PH close to 7, and mush the GH to about 25ppm and KH to about 50ppm. This is not a big change. This would effectively stop or slow the erosion of the shell.

However if the water is still acidic after stopping the CO2 we would have to be careful that we don't add too much Other wise GH and KH could change rapidly and that could injure or kill something in your tank. That is why you need a test kits for GH and KH.

oh god she saw the peta.org junk :l yea I went through that 1 night phase to... felt bad then I was like: Well im make things better by improving the aquarium and fish I own and will own.
in other words I moved on an removed the stick from out my body.
Also about the link where you said your selling your fish, congratz (serious congratz) but I think it was completely unnecessary to point out that other guys sale, completely unnecessary. Maybe he is getting rid of his stock because He just found out that those fish of his is something he obviously cant take care of. its better to come to those terms than saying "hey ill flush these guys down the toilet" so be thankful rather than complaining and complaining over an over again, complaining and being negative doesn't make a difference to anything. now im not saying be happy and all yippy and stuff but, you get my point. Also cant say im a vegan, I practically eat an 8oz burger every day for dinner and sausage with bacon and eggs for breakfast. I went vegetarian once and it was good for a bit there, but I eventually missed steak and hamburgers on the grill, and butchering my own chickens & ducks on the farm. To this day I do that ^ and I love it. also when your vegan you cant eat any products related to animals right? like cheese and such?

Some people take action and some people nod and then look the other way. We all have the freedom to choose what we want to do with our lives and I chose to defend those who cannot speak for themselves.

Yeah, I guess it was unnecessary to post the other ad but I just wanted to point out how unnecessary it is to keep such large fish in small tanks. No animal should live like this. It's basically the same as locking someone up in a room for the rest of their lives.

I admit, I do miss steak, and especially chicken wings (my dad made the best!). My family comes from a culture who love to add meat in every dish. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners makes it extremely tough for me but I fight through the urge to eat meat because I stand by my values. There's also a health aspect to it as well. Meat, especially red meat, is not good for you. Dairy is worse. You are correct, going vegan means excluding all animal products.

I obviously don't agree with killing animals but I do appreciate you butchering your own animals. It's the factory farms who don't treat animals with dignity that I really am against.

yes plants and algae have calcium. The plant needs a small amount to live. The amount your would get would not be enough to resolve the situation. also your regular water change will remove much of the calcium you have added with by feeding food.

GH is a measure of how much calcium and magnesium is in the water. Adding calcium will alway increase GH. How much edsolves in the water will determine how big the affect will be. Depending on the form of calcium and how much resolves in the water will determine the affect on PH. If the calcium doesn't resolve well it will have minimal affect on GH, KH, and PH. If it dissolves easily it will have a big affect on GH. The PH, CO2 and form of calcium you have will determine how resolves in the water. If the calcium is in the form of calcium oxide or calcium carbonate it will affect KH and PH.

Calcium and magnesium carbonate will have little to no solubility in at a ph of 7 or higher and will have a very small effect on PH,GH, and KH. Many test kits would not have enough resolution to detect the change in PH, GH, and KH. However if the PH is 4 or 5 soft water could be converted to hard water by adding these carbonate. PH will go up, GH can reach 300, and KH will increase. Calcium sulfate will behave similarly but have no affect on PH, and KH.

You are adding CO2 to your tank.which can increase the affect of carbonates. However if you stop the CO2 the amount of calcium, magnesium, and potassium in the water will dominate the affect on PH and KH. If the PH gets close to 7, Just put crushed coral in the water and that would stabilize PH close to 7, and mush the GH to about 25ppm and KH to about 50ppm. This is not a big change. This would effectively stop or slow the erosion of the shell.

However if the water is still acidic after stopping the CO2 we would have to be careful that we don't add too much Other wise GH and KH could change rapidly and that could injure or kill something in your tank. That is why you need a test kits for GH and KH.

That's a lot of info. Thanks. The challenge I have is trying to find that balance for all inhabitants. Having a 6 gallon nano tank does not help either. I'm scared to try anything at this point and I think I will wait until I find a new home for my neon. I've been getting a ton of responses from my ad and I'm glad I'm screening people. A lot of interest is coming from new fish owners who don't have established tanks yet. *smh

That's a lot of info. Thanks. The challenge I have is trying to find that balance for all inhabitants. Having a 6 gallon nano tank does not help either. I'm scared to try anything at this point and I think I will wait until I find a new home for my neon.

One perfectly safe thing you can do that wouldn't require a new test kit is to use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. It is a plant fertilizer and will have some calcium and magnesium in it. It isn't much but it would help your plants and would not harm anything else in the tank. Dose according to the instructions. Note for a small tank buy the 100ml bottle size. Once opened it will eventualy go bad. Se get a small pill bottle and a 1ml syringe put a little bit in the small bottle and then freeze the rest. Use the syringe to precisely measure the amount of fertilizer accoding to the bottle instructions.

One perfectly safe thing you can do that wouldn't require a new test kit is to use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. It is a plant fertilizer and will have some calcium and magnesium in it. It isn't much but it would help your plants and would not harm anything else in the tank. Dose according to the instructions. Note for a small tank buy the 100ml bottle size. Once opened it will eventualy go bad. Se get a small pill bottle and a 1ml syringe put a little bit in the small bottle and then freeze the rest. Use the syringe to precisely measure the amount of fertilizer accoding to the bottle instructions.

I did use Flourish in the past but stopped using it. I didn't realize it goes bad so I'll be throwing that bottle out.

So will this be enough to slow down the shell deterioration and/or maybe prevent it from deteriorating?

Some people take action and some people nod and then look the other way. We all have the freedom to choose what we want to do with our lives and I chose to defend those who cannot speak for themselves.

Yeah, I guess it was unnecessary to post the other ad but I just wanted to point out how unnecessary it is to keep such large fish in small tanks. No animal should live like this. It's basically the same as locking someone up in a room for the rest of their lives.

I admit, I do miss steak, and especially chicken wings (my dad made the best!). My family comes from a culture who love to add meat in every dish. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners makes it extremely tough for me but I fight through the urge to eat meat because I stand by my values. There's also a health aspect to it as well. Meat, especially red meat, is not good for you. Dairy is worse. You are correct, going vegan means excluding all animal products.

I obviously don't agree with killing animals but I do appreciate you butchering your own animals. It's the factory farms who don't treat animals with dignity that I really am against.
you may be surprised, im allergic to dairy, have been all my life :) so instead of like regular milk. I have to drink Soymilk which is really good to me.

So will this be enough to slow down the shell deterioration and/or maybe prevent it from deteriorating?

I don''t know. But I would guess that at best it would slow it down. A worst it would have no effect on the shell. However it could increases plant growth, lowering CO2 a little bit and help stabilize mineral levels in the aquarium. It is smply a no risk thing that can be tried. Once you have the GH and KH numbers we taller a treatment to insure the water is safe.

Last edited:
you may be surprised, im allergic to dairy, have been all my life :) so instead of like regular milk. I have to drink Soymilk which is really good to me.

A lot of people cannot digest dairy. Think about it, milk is meant to feed growing calves, not humans. You would be surprised to hear that there have been tons of studies done on milk, especially the protein in milk (casein), and how it is linked to cancer. Scientists were able to turn cancer tumors on and off in lab rats with casein.

Soy milk is awesome. I drink almond milk which is another alternative.

I don''t know. But I would guess that at best it would slow it down. A worst it would have no effect on the shell. However it could increases plant growth, lowering CO2 a little bit and help stabilize mineral levels in the aquarium. It is smply a no risk thing that can be tried. Once you have the GH and KH numbers we taller a treatment to insure the water is safe.

Thanks! I'll test this weekend when I get a chance. My first priority is to find a new home for Zip. I am getting a lot of responses to my ad.

FYI, I have placed an ad for my neon tetra, Zip. Looking for a good home for him:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fish/winnipe...er/1220606156?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Also, saw the neighboring ad. The fish in this guy's tank look so happy, right? (sarcasm)
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fish/winnipeg/18-arowana-fish/1220591602?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Hey everyone. I think I may have found a new home for my lonely neon tetra, Zip. The owner has a 65g aquascaped tank, communal fish only with a 1yr old grouping of about 30 cardinal (neon) tetras, corys, rainbow fish and roseline sharks. Will my neon be okay with a school of cardinals in this tank?

Yes, tetras will usually school together given they have the same body shape and size. He will be fine with them and very happy in a group of 30!!

Also just touching on the milk, most humans don't have the right enzymes to digest milk only baby cows do! :)

Yes, tetras will usually school together given they have the same body shape and size. He will be fine with them and very happy in a group of 30!!

Also just touching on the milk, most humans don't have the right enzymes to digest milk only baby cows do! :)

Perfect. I'll be meeting with the new owner on Sunday! Looking forward to seeing his new home!

:D

The milk now day is what the used to throw out.

We had a milk cow growing up. We drank it cream and all

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back