Nerite snail care

Vikasr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 20g planted tank with some glofish tetras in it. I want to add 2 nerite snails just because they are interesting creatures and help with cleaning and algae.

The water parameters of my source water / tank water are as below:
Ammonia: 0/0
Nitrite: 0/0
Nitrate: Not tested / <10
PH: 7.2 / 7.0 (tank does go to 6.8)
GH: 3dGH / 3dGH (maybe reaching 4dGH, cant read exact as using a strip)
KH: 6.5 - 8 / 6.5 - 8 (cant read exact as using a strip)
Tank water temp: These days its around 30C due to heat. It will increase a bit by next month. Otherwise I keep it minimum 26C.

I understand nerites require harder water and higher PH. Is my water good enough or it needs some additives to make it more suitable?

Also, what to feed the nerites when algae is not enough? And how to feed them?

Thanks

I'd say that nerites need harder water than you have, maybe adding some sort of mineral block willbe enough of a supplement so that the shell doesn't crack. Never used it though so I can't tell you of it is good or not.
Nerite snails don't require specific care after that. As long as there is algae and hard water, they will live 👍

I've had nerites for a long time, and what i've learned from it is that you have to have a big tank for them to not be hungry. I have a 75 gallon and when it is normally clean, it can only support around 2 large nerites from the diatoms it has.

I'm not sure it this actually does anything, but sometimes I drop powdered hard boiled egg shell into the tank. the baby fish eat the film of the egg and the pest snails and others eat the shell. Seems to improve shell growth

I think it's more about hardness than ph, but ph can't go below 7 just for safekeeping

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back