Neons keep dying

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I bought six neons form Petsmart 2 days ago. They were fine the first day. However, one of the neons was swimming vertically the next day and I had to euthanize it once it bent its back into a wierd position.

That night, another neon did the same thing after it was attacked by two danios. I wasn't happy about that, so I moved him to my ten. He did the same thing again, so I put him in a bucket. He was very weak and stayed at the bottom, on his side. He later died, of course.

What's going on? :(

Temp: 78
Unfortunately, that's all I know. :( It was a mature tank, and I had removed the silver dollars before.

My guess: High temp, danios, or sick before I got them (had only been at Petsmart for 2 days before I got them).

all 5 of my neons died also, i bought them on friday....today the last one died
:(

If Petsmart only got them two days ago, it might be that they just got too stressed from two moves so close to each other. Moving fish and putting them in new environments is very stressful for them, and neons are sensitive fish.

Neons in general have a tendency to die for no apparent reason. They're not as hardy as some people make them out to be. You have to be careful with water parameters, provide soft water and the right temperature for them.

It was proberly the store Petsmart's fault. I use 2 buy my tropical fish from Pets at home in cannock but they dont have experts with tropical fish on as there staff. They just have staff that know nothing about tropical Fish. It's likely 1 of the Neon Tetras you buyed had a parasite and when you put it in your tank, the other Neon Tetras caught it and it killed them. Personally I wouldern't recommend you go to Petsmart in future, I recommend you go to a waterlife place that are experts at tropical Fish. If you buy your fish from them places it wont be likely that your fish will have bugs and parasites because them places they prevent them.

Unfortunately, there are no such places here. Big chain stores are the best places to go here, and the smaller lfs are run by people who don't seem to be the best at fish handling.

However, only the two neons died. All the rest are alive and hopefully well. I'm going to blame stress.

As for the water parameters, I keep reading that acidic to normal are best. My water in that tank is acidic, or at least it was a few months ago. I have to go get it tested again. :(

I work in a lfs big pet chain and I know the staff arent always trained - you have to be careful what one you go to!

your neons probably were stressed but they might have had Neon Tetra Disease. characterized by a spreading pale area under the gills and around the fins. Keep an eye on the others just in case. its very contagious but doesnt really affect other fishes

Definitely not neon tetra disease. They weren't a pale blue, just swimming upside down.

The guy who sold it to me was the pet care manager, and he knows his stuff...

hey man-- im not sure where roselle is, but im in chicago, and i can HIGHLY recommend Old Town Aquarium. Its just south of the North and Wells intersection.

My guess is that the problem was that petsmart gets pretty bad fish and doesnt treat them very well.

cheers!

I use 2 buy my tropical fish from Pets at home in cannock but they dont have experts with tropical fish on as there staff.

I'm not very far from Cannock - where do you go for your fish now? The biggest places I know round here are Hollybush and Shirley.

waterwatereverywhere said:
I use 2 buy my tropical fish from Pets at home in cannock but they dont have experts with tropical fish on as there staff.

I'm not very far from Cannock - where do you go for your fish now? The biggest places I know round here are Hollybush and Shirley.
I know hollybush, I plan to go there in future. At the momment I use Grassmere Gardens they are very good and are helping me sort out my illnesses and bacteria that Pets At home caused!

Never thought of Grassmere - I'll give them a look-in :thumbs: The head office where I work is in Cambridgeshire and I popped into Peterborough Water Zoo this week - that looked really good but a bit of a distance to get fish regularly from!

waterwatereverywhere said:
Never thought of Grassmere - I'll give them a look-in :thumbs: The head office where I work is in Cambridgeshire and I popped into Peterborough Water Zoo this week - that looked really good but a bit of a distance to get fish regularly from!
Maybe you could come and help me with my fish ;)

Fishnix, Roselle is an hour or so away from Chicago. It's to the northwest of it.

Where's this place you're talking about I've never heard of that intersection. Is it in downtown Chicago?

hey-
it's just north of the loop actually. its in the section of chicago called Old Town, which i guess is near the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park. if you are ever in the area, i would definately suggest that you stop in. i guess an hour is kinda far to go for fish, but it could be worth it!

if you come in on 90/94, take the north avenue exit, turn left off the ramp (East -- towards the lake) and eventually you will hit Wells. Turn right down wells (South -- towards the loop) and its the third or fourth building on the right side. There is a neon fish sign hanging from the building and you will see little signs all over that say "Old Town".

its a VERY nice neighborhood, so you dont need to worry about getting mugged or anything ;)

cheers!

Not worried. Actually, I have a 4 1/2 day weekend and I'm going to Lincolnwood to my aunt's house. My uncle works in downtown Chicago, so he might be able to take me there to have a look. They also said I can set up a tank for them, but my uncle has to work over the weekend so that won't happen this week. If it all works out, I might have found a store where I could get fish supplies for their tank (if they get it).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back