neon tetras

guppybaby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am wanting to put neon tetras in my 55 gallon tank. I had one in there for a long time by itself then i bought 3 for 99 cents a piece at my lfs. within a week they all four died! :crazy: :crazy: It did not hurt any of my other fish thank goodness. :) I went to another lfs to check into buting some more. I ask them how many they reccomended i get at a time to keep them all healthy. They said the more the better and i should start out with no less than six at once. What do you guys think about that? It would cost me about 15$ to get that many at once. Would it be worth it? Or can i start out with three and get some more a coulple of weeks later. I need some advice on this one please help. :dunno:

I only have two. They stick together and seem fine. On occasion they will school with my glow-lite tetras but they wander off on their own from time to time.

I am debating if i want to get more, or look for something else instead to take their place. :/

I would suggest getting a least 6 neons at once. They like the company of others. I have 14 in may 30 gallon tank and they're pretty neat to watch hang out together. I think it's definately worth getting 6.

6 is a good number, more is better.

It sounds as though someone at the lfs was actually right :hyper: I will get six of them at once then try adding more to them. I have four black Tetras in my tank. Will they mix with my Tetras and be alright or will they be lunch to my tetras. I have not had trouble in the past but i get the biggest tetras. I was not sure if it would make a difference having so many in htere at once.

guppybaby said:
how many glo- lite tetras do you have? thanks for the response. :)
I have 4 glow-lites.

Most of the time they stick with the neons so i kinda consider it the same as having 6 of the same fish.

I have 16 Neons in my tank with the others in my sig. They look very cool when they shoal. They do tend to drift apart for most of the day and then shoal in the morning and evening.

PS
I you can get hold of red gravel, try some in the tank. It makes the Neons Colors stand out more.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back