Neon Blue Goby (stiphodon Semoni)?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jtipton

Reaction score
My LFS is selling a "Blue Neon Goby" as a brackish fish. I suspect it is Gobiosoma Oceanops.They are keeping it with some halfbreaks at a SG of 1.010. It is a very pretty fish, but is being sold for $30. I did some research, and these fish are normally associated with marine aquaria. So, I have 2 questions:

Are these fish really brackish?
Is $30(US) a reasonable price?

Thanks for the help.

After further research, I suspect the the "Neon Blue Goby" is actually Stiphodon semoni. This is a brackish species that looks very similar to the Neon Goby that is common to marine aquaria. Any info on this species? Here is a picture of a similar specimen:

indone01.jpg

I could sure use some help on this one. I would like to know how to feed this species, and any salinity parameters that are required.

AFAIK, Stiphodons live in freshwater, but fry probably needs brackish or salt water to develop. I'm not sure how well the adults take salt.

I believe they're algae grazers, but should take most foods as well.

$30 seems rather high for a Stiphodon. Most I've seen sold around the $10 to $15 range.

Thank for the response. They are very attractive fish, but spend a lot of time hiding. It is always a surprise to see this little fish swimming around.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back