Need help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Kellya325

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good afternoon Everyone. Iā€™m new to the fish world. On February 29th I bought 3 female guppies. 1 who looked already pregnant when I got her and the other 2 I couldnā€™t tell until the other day when I spotted fry eyes through 1 of their stomach. Iā€™ve had them for 24 days now the biggest one has been near the heater or the filter and has been very still for about a week now. Last night she was swimming in place and shimmering in place. What does this mean please? I need help Iā€™ve watched video and did lots of reading but nothing is really helping me. Thank you for the help in advance.

Attachments

• 2ACEA73D-138C-4B93-A066-F3B6740EC18D.jpeg
    2ACEA73D-138C-4B93-A066-F3B6740EC18D.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 77
Likely she is going into labor or false labor

Thank you. Wow fish can go into false labor. I havenā€™t read that anywhere yet. As of now sheā€™s still doing the same thing with nothing yet.

That can be caused by poor water quality or low GH.

Guppies need a GH around 200ppm. If it's too low, they get the shimmies where they swim in one place and don't go anywhere.

I have done water tests and all my test are coming back perfect and every reading is where it should be I use the API freshwater master test kit and I bought other tests on the side so I can run every test I can to make sure the tanks are ideal for all of the fish and to make sure Iā€™m testing levels for everything. Iā€™ve had the tanks setup for over 6 months now and they were all properly cycled

What is your GH?

What is your GH?

hereā€™s all my numbers for my tests so you can know what all the levels are. Thank you guys for the help. Let me know if I didnā€™t catch the water problem if you find one please.

Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrate- 5-10ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
GH- 200ppm
Chlorine- 0ppm
Alkalinity- between 120&180ppm
And my PH is 7.8

It looks good for guppies, the reason we asked is because many people get guppies but their areas water is not suitable for them, soft water causes them to die sooner and be more prone to disease

It looks good for guppies, the reason we asked is because many people get guppies but their areas water is not suitable for them, soft water causes them to die sooner and be more prone to disease

oh ok thatā€™s understandable. I have a personal well I use for all my water. I did have both tanks tested after they were cycled months ago then decided to get the master test kit and I do about 2 water tests a week to keep making sure the water is safe for them. My bigger tank has a similar reading as well and I have guppies, mollies, tetras, a Gouramis, and a Glo shark in that tank.

oh ok thatā€™s understandable. I have a personal well I use for all my water. I did have both tanks tested after they were cycled months ago then decided to get the master test kit and I do about 2 water tests a week to keep making sure the water is safe for them. My bigger tank has a similar reading as well and I have guppies, mollies, tetras, a Gouramis, and a Glo shark in that tank.
Guppies and mollies are hard water, but the others are soft. It would be best if they were in soft water. What type of tetra?

Oh i didnā€™t know that. They are the Glo Tetraā€™s and Iā€™ve had them for 5 months now with the other fish I listed Before. They are doing great

Oh i didnā€™t know that. They are the Glo Tetraā€™s and Iā€™ve had them for 5 months now with the other fish I listed Before. They are doing great
I didnt know about the different requirements until I joined this forum. @Byron is really good at explaining it and effects on fish.

Hereā€™s another question to throw at you. When you see frys eyes through the stomach does that mean sheā€™s close or still a few weeks away?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back