Need An Id Please, Strange Bubbly Tip Anemone/coral, Hides From Light

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ech0o

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a strange hitchhiker in one of my pieces of liverock.  It has a pretty stout base, and then a polyp looking top with tentacles, some point upwards more, some point outwards more, but def. an obvious center, the diameter of the center is actually probably more than the length of the "tentacles".  They are not huge bubble tips, but clearly round, and bigger then the rest of the tentacle, certainly different then how the rose bubble tips look though. 

I am not seeing any bio-luminescence or reaction to blue or UV light, but I also am not feeding it anything, it may be hungry and/or bleached out.   It has a strange pattern in the center, and is pink with some white, and some other darker colors.  It hides from the light, the only time I can see it is when I first turn on my tank light every day, then is sucks back under the overhanging rock.  Here are some pics included.  It is in the dead center, in a hole in the rock, down and to the right from the tip of the purple coral mat.

iU9dm4S.jpg

NB6Ldqf.jpg

There are small, nearly translucent anemone known as ball anemone. They are harmless. Technically they aren't anemone as we think of anemone, like aiptasia. They are more related to mushroom corals. They are neat looking, generally do just fine in a tank, and don't bother anyone.

I have to say it looks more like something in Aiptasiidae to me than a Corallimorpharian. From the pics it looks like there are multiple bands on the tentacles and I'm not seeing obvious signs of the characteristic white or colored balls on the tentacle tips, which are often the only thing visible on ball anemones in a crevice...would need better pics to be sure. There is a species of Aiptasiid (which I have never seen IDed, much to my aggravation) that is sometimes called a "lightbulb anemone" because of the shape the tentacles sometimes assume, which looks very BTA-like at times.

A macro shot would help but I still don't think it's an aiptasia or majano type.
Actually, from first glace I would label it as a feather duster worm but since I can't see it all that well in the photo I took the OP's word that it's a polyp.

TChaUGl.jpg

i got just about as close as I could, that ball anemone was close, i saw a couple that looks similar, i didnt find any aptasia that looked anything similar, i actually have a couple aptasia in the tank that i need to rid of, they are much different with sharp tips, these have very round tips and some of them are even balled up, you can see the brightness on some of the tips.

Here's what I'm looking at...
ball_anemone.jpg
Since there are many species of aiptasia I can't rule that out 100% based on this photo alone of course but the tips do seem more rounded than I'm used to aiptasia having.
Aiptasia%202.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back