Need Advice-New to the Guppy World

Stacey269

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 black mollies and 3 neons. They have been excellent fish. Today, I got 3 guppies. The 2 fancy guppies I had to buy in a pair, and they were all males. Then there was this very pretty bright orange guppie that I couldn't resist. I asked the lady if 3 males would all fight with each other. She said no. At first, they were all great buds hanging around together. Now, this evening, the orange one keeps chasing the 2 fancy ones. I was thinking that because the orange one doesn't have as big a tail as the others that it might be "tail envy" :rolleyes: because he tries to nip at their tails, but was the lady wrong about fighting, or are they establishing their dominance, or is he just a bully, or what is going on? Please help. I really like these guppies, all 3 of them. I don't want the fancy ones to keep being harrassed to death all the time though, but the orange was is very pretty too. :( Also, one of the fancy ones seems to stay in the same spot now, not swimming all around the tank, just saying in one small spot all the time. Is that his "territory"?

hmm i have never had a problem with males fighting each other. but now that i think about it some of my guppies did nip each others tail.

It's just the orange one chasing the other two around trying to nip their tails. The 2 don't fight with each other. Is he just a bully? For tonight, to give the 2 a breather, I put the orange one in a breeder net to separate him and let the 2 get used to the tank without constantly being harassed. Was that ok?

If it makes you more comforitable then it is ok...
What size tank is this - are there other spots that the two can get away from the one?

ALASKA

I just wanted to let you know that it seems that separating the orange one seemed to help. I let him out of the net this morning and instead of chasing after the 2, he is trying to buddying up to them again. Maybe he needed some time to get his agression in check? The 2 also seem to be brave enough now not to tolerate his picking and will go after him if they think he's trying to get their tails. They haven't/still don't want to go to a hiding place away from him. They would just swim away, but not to hide. They're very pretty and interesting to watch. I like these guppies... :)

you must be careful as this is the way that fin rot comes because of the stress from other males / nipping. the easiest asy around this is to add females to the tank did the trick for me after my lfs sold me 5 males

Don't worry about your males aggression. There will often be a pecking order established and its obvious who's the leader in your tank. I had a very dominant male in my tank who occasionaly chases the other males, but boy do those female ever distract him fast :lol: so it never turns into something bad

Most reactions

Back