Need a synonym

Here in the Birmingham area the term gassed is used by ethnic groups , if a Caucasian used the term gassed id cringe not to discriminate but differnt ethnic groups do use different terminology, without over thinking it , I’d probably used “buzzing “
Eg: I’m so buzzing just won £100

Interesting stuff. I forgot we have so many UK people on this forum--that's a whole different set of slang.

You used to be young? :huh:
Once. Long, long ago. Some days I still feel young, then my body reminds me otherwise...
I'm stoked! I think that's an Aussie saying..
I think "stoked" originally came from surf culture, in the US and Aus. A lot of the mountain bikers and rock climbers around here still use it.

I think age and location make all these sayings pretty unique.

I live on the South Coast and have jam sandwiches, but when I used to go to Nanna’s near Edinburgh you’d get a ‘jam piece’...?
When I was in England around 20 years ago, all the police cars were white with a red, horizontal stripe down the middle. The kids called them jam sandwiches. The cops didn't seem to mind. :)

Interesting stuff. I forgot we have so many UK people on this forum--that's a whole different set of slang.
There are a lot of slang used in the US, that isn’t used in the UK.

You can literally just Google, “Teenage Slang” and there’s a whole list. (Might come in handy in the classroom ;))

OK, a hundred years ago when I was young and cool (well, young, anyway), we used the expression, "Get psyched" to mean "get pumped up, get inspired, get the adrenaline going, get ready to take on the coming challenge and do something amazing." I need a more modern synonym for that idea. Help a old guy out.
In the US, we (teenagers) say get hyped. Not so different from psyched ?

Always being interested in history specifically American History and along with the theme of this thread....Did you know that Noah Webster created the first American English Dictionary in order to differentiate American English from British English.

"Besides having American textbooks, Webster believed that having an Americanized version of English was the first step to truly asserting independence as a nation. "Now is the time and this the country in which we may expect success in attempting changes to language, science and government. Let us then seize the present moment and establish a national language as well as a national government," wrote Webster. His 1806 dictionary was the first American dictionary but his 1828 version, which completely changed how dictionaries were formatted, is his most lasting work. You can browse the 1828 dictionary's entries online.

5 Ways Noah Webster Made the English Language American

Always being interested in history specifically American History and along with the theme of this thread....Did you know that Noah Webster created the first American English Dictionary in order to differentiate American English from British English.

"Besides having American textbooks, Webster believed that having an Americanized version of English was the first step to truly asserting independence as a nation. "Now is the time and this the country in which we may expect success in attempting changes to language, science and government. Let us then seize the present moment and establish a national language as well as a national government," wrote Webster. His 1806 dictionary was the first American dictionary but his 1828 version, which completely changed how dictionaries were formatted, is his most lasting work. You can browse the 1828 dictionary's entries online.

5 Ways Noah Webster Made the English Language American
When I was in high school, my family took a trip to England. I told one of my friends we were going, and he asked, "What language do they speak there?"

*long, blank stare*

When I was in high school, my family took a trip to England. I told one of my friends we were going, and he asked, "What language do they speak there?"

*long, blank stare*
That's like asking where did the Latins live....lol. Answer: Latainia :lol:

I thought I had made that up on the spot then decided to make sure of where Latin was actually spoken, I knew it was the Romans, but found out it was an ancient part of Rome called Latium. Silly me...lol

I've heard the word "stoked" quite often used in both the US and in Canada.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back