Nano Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BiggTexx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am thinking about starting a custom built nano tank / biotope and this may sound like a weird question, but is what the smallest tank (in gallons or liters) that would be feasible for any type of aquatic life?

For instance, a few inverts or a single Betta? I have never owned a Betta, but have been told one can live happily in a 2 gallon aquarium.  Is this true, or just another gimmick?  You always see Bettas sulking in small containers on shelves at LFS, but then again you also see 20 goldfish in the tanks (or partitions) no larger than 5 gallons.  What is a realistic expectation?

FYI - I am fine with having a planted only nano, no fish or inverts!

A betta can live in a 2.5 gallon without fuss, but I prefer a 5-10 gallon for water stability and health.

Thanks for the response LyraGuppi!

I completely understand the preference for a larger tank which is why I came to ask first, especially since this would be a new area for me. If we also considered that this would be a heavily filtrated and well monitored setup, would you still stay  with your 5-10 gallon recommendation?  I know that is a lot to ask of you, but I am a curious being!

Personally a 2-2.5 gallon, if monitored and well filtered like you said, would be the lowest I would go. :) You could get some amazing shrimp, like the striped varieties or the blues....

Now I'm excited XD

To be completely honest, I was thinking more along the lines of 3 gallons. This will be a custom build, so I am in total control, and inverts are always a possibility!

I was initially thinking of desktop nano, but with inverts I could adjust the dimensions and go for a wall-mount...  Now you really have me thinking...

If you do make a wall-mount, we'd love to see it
biggrin.png
. Larger tanks do allow for a more stable system with less effort, but if you are going for a really small setup (like just one betta + shrimp or something) I would recommend the 2 to 2.5 gal range because it'll also make securing it to a wall much easier. My betta was happy in a 1 gal setup, and even when I got him as an adult (and a n00b), he lived for nearly an entire year.

Most reactions

trending

Back