Nano tank betta gift - help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Youā€™re the type of aunt everyone wishes they had as a child. Your niece is one fortunate kid.

Oh my god, thank you Fishmanic! Thatā€™s so sweet :D

I, uh... well a smaller starter is out. I bought a tank stand for a 40g L or 55g - it was hard to resist & I couldnā€™t! :eek:

PS: I found where the smilies are!:cool::blink:;)

Lol!! I did that very thing when I first found out where they were!!

:band: :lol: :hi: :fish: :fish: :cool: :eek:

Lol!! I wish I had an Aunt like you!! (All of my Aunts live at least 4 hour drive away!! :(

Last edited:
Please help me get my nieceā€™s birthday gift right!

I usually use http://www.aqadvisor.com for aquarium stocking advice...
I checked for a 6.5 gallon tank for 1 betta male and 4 neon tetras and aqadvisor said:

• Note: Betta [Male] may jump - lids are recommended.
  • They can become stressful under presence of too many shoaling species.
  • Warning: Neon Tetra is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 1.5 inches.
  • Warning: At least 5 x Neon Tetra are recommended in a group.

Basically Iā€™m preparing a fish as a gift and donā€™t want anything going wrong. Iā€™ve kept both fish and beta before, and she has had a fish before, but I havenā€™t known as much about it as I should. Iā€™m planning on surprising her with everything she needs as well as a detailed care sheet because she is only 8.

The tank is from a local pet store and is just under 7 gallons, unusual shaped. Came with a filter, and I am planning on buying a heater (15 watt sounds about right, yeah?)

Itā€™s been cycling with some treatment (betta safe) for the past 4 days. When a week hits I plan on taking 25% out for a water change. Then a week after repeating it, getting it tested. Iā€™m aiming to have it gifted in just under 3 weeks.

Info off town water site:
PH: 7.96 (7.0-8.4)
Alkalinity: 24.16 mg/L (16.7-33.3 mg/L)
Hardness: 18.8 mg/L (13.0-22.0 mg/L)
Turbidity: 0.08 NTU (0.06-0.17 NTU)
0.08-0.79 NTU in distribution system

Intended inhabitants:
Fish: 1 Betta (to be added just before birthday), 1 pleco (not added until 1 month after beta)
Extra: Marimo moss ball
Question: Would 4 neon tetra be an okay addition, or a biological overload? I read theyā€™re alright with betta and think my niece would adore them!

Tank itself: aquarium gravel, driftwood, silk plants, beta leaf shelf, & whatever other decor looks good

Basically I just want some guidance from you guys because Iā€™m nowhere near the hobbyist level as 95% of you all. Being that itā€™s a gift for a child Iā€™m trying very hard to get it right & properly prepped so sheā€™ll enjoy it and the fish will live a comfortable life. Is there anything I posted that raises a red flag? Anything that you would advise me to improve, change, or add?

I have since ruled the tetra out for very similar reasons, but thank you Lyn! Iā€™ll get some for my own tank instead! :D

I just used that AA thing and actually Have my own tank inhabitants somewhat set! But mine wonā€™t go up for a while so thatā€™s a ways away. Good for wishful thinking!!!

Thanks for the heater 411! Iā€™ll sniff around the tetra line next.

Amazing that superglue is okay! Good tip there. Iā€™m not sure this aquarium will have enough light to sustain more than a moss ball but thatā€™s why Iā€™m here so you guys give me your opinions! I donā€™t know what kind of light it is - Itā€™s the imagitarium 6.8 gallon semi-hexagonal tank so I am just using the lights that came with it (LEDs in the hood). Something un-killable sounds perfect for a kid though!

Nice looking aquarium & what a fly little betta guy!

Aquarium safe superglue not just any normal glue

Wait, you mean about the Anubis? As long as it has some lighting source, and it is attached to a piece of driftwood, it should grow fine. If you are talking about Anacharis plants, like I said, they are one of the very few plants you can just stick in gravel, and it will grow!! The moss balls are very hardy, and donā€™t need anything, juts a little light. :)

You are right about Anubis being hardy but it doesnā€™t do well in substrate, itā€™s roots go all mushy. It grows best either glued (aquarium superglue), tied on or you can let them float if itā€™s a little plant.

Please help me get my nieceā€™s birthday gift right!

Basically Iā€™m preparing a fish as a gift and donā€™t want anything going wrong. Iā€™ve kept both fish and beta before, and she has had a fish before, but I havenā€™t known as much about it as I should. Iā€™m planning on surprising her with everything she needs as well as a detailed care sheet because she is only 8.

The tank is from a local pet store and is just under 7 gallons, unusual shaped. Came with a filter, and I am planning on buying a heater (15 watt sounds about right, yeah?)

Itā€™s been cycling with some treatment (betta safe) for the past 4 days. When a week hits I plan on taking 25% out for a water change. Then a week after repeating it, getting it tested. Iā€™m aiming to have it gifted in just under 3 weeks.

Info off town water site:
PH: 7.96 (7.0-8.4)
Alkalinity: 24.16 mg/L (16.7-33.3 mg/L)
Hardness: 18.8 mg/L (13.0-22.0 mg/L)
Turbidity: 0.08 NTU (0.06-0.17 NTU)
0.08-0.79 NTU in distribution system

Intended inhabitants:
Fish: 1 Betta (to be added just before birthday), 1 pleco (not added until 1 month after beta)
Extra: Marimo moss ball
Question: Would 4 neon tetra be an okay addition, or a biological overload? I read theyā€™re alright with betta and think my niece would adore them!

Tank itself: aquarium gravel, driftwood, silk plants, beta leaf shelf, & whatever other decor looks good

Basically I just want some guidance from you guys because Iā€™m nowhere near the hobbyist level as 95% of you all. Being that itā€™s a gift for a child Iā€™m trying very hard to get it right & properly prepped so sheā€™ll enjoy it and the fish will live a comfortable life. Is there anything I posted that raises a red flag? Anything that you would advise me to improve, change, or add?

Please do not give her a living being as a pet until she can do her own research and learn of their care. As a child way back when (1950's) I did such and spent months reading books before I bought the fish (after months of a set up, this was before filters so on).

I lived in NYC and did Betta Rescue (most were so bad off they did not survive for long). Parents would come in to the local P store and buy a bowl, ceramic stuff and a betta which needs 80 degrees temperature and large space. (they come from streams and waters bigger then "mud puddles which is a myth).

Get her something like a plant. If she can care for that without YOUR help, then progress to a living being.

Bettas and all fish do feel pain. (background in legal and medical research).

If the child is responsible and willing to learn, it will be a good experience. And the child has had fish previously so she has some experience. I think her aunt will guide her after having done so much preparation and research. And if the aunt lives close by, she can visit often at least at first till her niece learns the proper way to maintain the tank and care for the fish.

Last edited:
While I do see your point and agree that a lot of people that get pets shouldnā€™t, especially as gifts, this isnā€™t the case here. Iā€™ve seen that exact scenario unfold elsewhere so I know what you mean but thatā€™s not my niece.

Iā€™m not handing a child a poorly conceived environment with inadequate care and Iā€™m not leaving her taking this on alone either. She has all the legwork done for her on both the tank and research. The tank is a thought out, readily cycled, well sized one suitable to its bioload.

My niece has owned fish before (with her brother) and he is also there ready to help 24/7 - those fish lived several years and never had a major health/disease outbreak. If she was five or six and new to fish I could understand being warily ageist towards her, but I already know she can care for a tank and perform feed/maintenance.

Her parents were spoken to about this fish & gave me a green light while knowing they will need to step in. I go to her house regularly enough to keep tabs on the fish as well.

Also at this point - with a tank nearly cycled, $90 invested, and no other gift prepared - I really donā€™t think I will back out on the off chance she might make mistakes that Iā€™ve seen many intelligent adults make on here. If I had any inkling that my niece was the kind of kid that would majorly mess up, not do whatā€™s needed down the road, or that her family wouldnā€™t care enough to keep an eye on it, I wouldnā€™t risk a living being but I donā€™t believe that. Iā€™d bet the farm on it.

Most reactions

trending

Back