What's new

Nano tank betta gift - help!

OP
F

FishAuntie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Not near a window but the tank is in a confined space. I stuck it in an unused bathroom to be able to hide it from my niece when she comes over & to keep my cats away. The door is closed mostly. I’ll leave it open & see if that makes a change :) Thank you, Pheonix, you’re a gem!

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Your welcome! I really like it when someone makes a surprise fish tank, for a relative, so unique! :)

That would be a good idea to leave the door open, and see if the temperature lowers. :)

OP
F

FishAuntie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am usually finicky on the circumstances of someone getting a surprise pet for someone else but this was a perfect moment.

Instead of a snail should I consider a ghost shrimp for this nano tank?

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Hhmmmm.....depends on the betta. My betta fish fine with snails/shrimp, but I have heard horror story’s of other people who put $40+ of shrimp in a tank, just to have all of them die!

A snails would be a better option, but as I said, it depends on the betta. :)

OP
F

FishAuntie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Better safe than sorry with a child so I’ll go with snail, thank you! :)

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Your welcome! Do you know what snails you would like to get? If you tell me, I can tell you if it would work. :)

OP
F

FishAuntie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I figured Nerite seemed generally well spoken about but I would appreciate recommendations of any others too!

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
I really do suggest Nerite snails. Mystery snails are pretty, but their antennas are much bigger, and could be mistaken for a bloodwork. Also, they produce a lot of waste.! :)

OP
F

FishAuntie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Guys!! Look who I picked up today! He’ll be in store cup quarantine pre-birthday Look at this widdle face!
9C48DA38-A400-4A45-BF24-6F50291C1385.jpeg

PS: Bought pretreated aquarium water, did a 50/50 water change on his cup to not disturb him any more than he has been by traveling. Also fed him. He looks lively and healthy to my untrained eye. :)

Fishmanic

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
That's a beauty.Great coloring and finage. I'm sure your niece will love your choice.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Wow! He is beautiful! Make sure you’re temperature is in check, and don’t forget to alcimate him! :)

OP
F

FishAuntie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
By the way Pheonix you were spot on!!! After the door was opened a while the tank temperature dropped down to the safe range. I’m using that 10g as a temp gauge since it has no heater in it & put the betta cup right beside the tank. I’d have set his cup in his future home but I’ll be going to work in a bit and I don’t want him floating unattended. He’s a precious little guy!

Ps: I’ve just been calling him little gentleman since he’s not mine to name, lol

Last edited:
OP
F

FishAuntie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This morning, no. Later, yes. :D

I didn’t want to disturb him too much last night (ride home was longer than it should’ve been) so he only got a water change & nice meal. Tonight will probably be good though!

Search tags for this page

tetra crypto root tabs how often do i replace them