My val's new shoots are red

revengeishere

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, I just bougth this val 2 weeks ago, and I had it uprooted last week(to see if it is growing, it is...growing roots, and a new runner already). But it seems that the newer shoots seems to be red with a slightly yellowish, but more on red), with some stripes on them(This might be a tiger val, but I dunno cos there was no tag with it). The old leaves didn't die or something, just the newer shoots. they are red. I dunt know why this is.

I have about 2.1 wpg of 3 full spectrum bulbs and a cool white and recieves supplemental sunlight(this is in the living room, facing north, with big windows, facing the water recieving bright indirect light).

Also, my other plants are growing well.

No co2, no fertilizing. Laterite gravel mix.

Also, becacuse the window is facing the water, will this affect the amount of light i get(e.g. recieve more blue light since the seawater is reflecting it?)

Thank you,
Revenge

A number of plants will show some or even a lot of red colouration in their leaves under bright lights. The reason is actually not that there is more red pigmentation, but less green. If the plant is receiving sufficient light for photosynthesis, it stops producing chloroplasts, (the green bits). This allows some of the other leaf pigments to become visible, (flavinoids, carotenes etc.).

If your plant was growing with less light before, it probably needed more chlorophyll to grow, now in the new bright environment, it needs less, so the new growth appears redder against the old.

As long as the plant continues to grow, don't worry about it.

Ok, but its somewhat translucent. The tank recieves about (75 us gallon)160 watts(3 full spectrum, 1 cool white), and just recently, is exposed to bright indirect sunlight all day).
Some of the older leaves have became red, but the val is still producing leaves.

Hmmm...I just have to wait and see. Oh, is the laterite mixed with gravel has something to do with this? I't might be stroring too much iron....

>>> I't might be stroring too much iron....

Unlikely. If the plant is still growing at the same rate, I'd just watch it and see. If the new growth is weak, spindly or deformed, then maybe you'd start to think of metal poisoning, otherwise... some people pay a fortune for red plants.

You have a lot of light in there. If you do not have algae problems, then the nutrients/trace elements must be limiting. If the higher plants are doing okay - well fine.

Yes, the anacharis, and wisterias are taking off, they are growing about 1-1/2 inch per day or may be higer. The amzaon swords are also growing, and anubias are throwing out leaves.

Well, probably have to wait and see. Btw, forgot to mention that some of the older leaves of the vals should have died off, but they haven't so Im pretty confident it will grow back(Plus the facxt that its takes longer for the val to get established...). Actually, I found it growing roots and a runner a week ago when it got uprooted.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back