The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
There's two platies and two corydoras of different species. There used to be more than that and now I don't want to look in the tank. I used to have a school of corydoras, but they all died off one by one to parasites I guess if that can kill them a day/a few hours after showing symptoms. A platy died after my betta suddenly attacked it. The betta is now in a different tank. I woke up at 4am because I can never sleep after a pet dies. I might as well just bury the rest now because apparently there's nothing I can do and they most likely will die early inevitable deaths.

There's always something that can be done so don't sound so disheartened.This is the time to be proactive.
So you have lost your group of Cory's,not good but not the end of your fishtank.
Think positive,give it a good clean,that always helps spark the brain into action with ideas and positivity.
It will come good for you,that's a fact.
👍

There's always something that can be done so don't sound so disheartened. This is the time to be proactive.
So you have lost your group of Cory's, not good but not the end of your fishtank.
Think positive, give it a good clean, that always helps spark the brain into action with ideas and positivity.
It will come good for you, that's a fact.
👍
Yup I lost the cories and I'm probably going to lose at least another one because I can't figure out what the problem is. Thanks for the positivity though.

Yup I lost the cories and I'm probably going to lose at least another one because I can't figure out what the problem is. Thanks for the positivity though.
Well you might not lose the last couple of Cory's,because you don't know what's wrong so you can't say that.
I put 3 new Cory's in my tank last weekend and I've lost two of them,and that's happened on a few occasions.
I put a load of Otto's in,I can't remember how many but it was near 20 and I lost the lot.
There are too many reasons for fish to die so don't sound so bad about it.
Maybe they were already weak and the clue that are left are the strong ones.
Wait it out and see if they survive,and if they do then they will live for years provided you don't do anything mental with the water

What is your tank maintenance routine? How often do a water change and when you do how much water do you replace? What is the size of the tank. Other than fish food what other things do you add to the water?

Impropermaintenance can weaken the immune system leading to disease and fish death.. Weekly water changes of 30 to 50% of the water are frequently necessary to insure good water quality. Also I would recommend avoiding kh boosters or PH up products. Also what are the Ammonia, and nitrite, nitrate, GH, KH, and PH of the water?

We would have an easier time helping you figure out what the problem is if you shared photos and answered the questions asked in previous threads. The fish stand a chance, but you have to give us information for anyone to be able to help you, and it's a more proactive and productive method of problem solving.

What is your tank maintenance routine? How often do a water change and when you do how much water do you replace? What is the size of the tank. Other than fish food what other things do you add to the water?

Improper maintenance can weaken the immune system leading to disease and fish death. Weekly water changes of 30 to 50% of the water are frequently necessary to ensure good water quality. Also, I would recommend avoiding Kh boosters or PH up products. Also, what are the Ammonia, and nitrite, nitrate, GH, KH, and PH of the water?
I might buy some prime because I've heard that can neutralize ammonia. I set a reminder to do water changes every two weeks. Might be less than 30%, I have to guess. Water quality shouldn't be a factor anyway because I've been doing daily partial water changes since fish have started dying. Tank is 20 gallons; I don't add anything else besides the conditioner I use in water changes.

I only have test strips that don't test for ammonia, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, GH 120, KH 80, pH 7.

We would have an easier time helping you figure out what the problem is if you shared photos and answered the questions asked in previous threads. The fish stand a chance, but you have to give us information for anyone to be able to help you, and it's a more proactive and productive method of problem solving.
I did provide details on another thread; this was more of a rant post than asking for advice. I answer questions whenever I see them.

I might buy some prime because I've heard that can neutralize ammonia.
Prime detoxifies ammonia (and nitrite) temporarily for around 24 to 36 hours, then it becomes toxic again. It is not a solution to ammonia and nitrite above zero, it merely protects the fish between one daily water change and the next during a fish-in cycle.
In a cycled tank, it also detoxifies the ammonia half of chloramine in new water added at a water change and the bacteria remove that before it has chance to become toxic again

It's hard to follow all these different threads. Here's what I take away:

You don't know if your tank is cycled, but you do now know water doesn't contain enough beneficial bacteria to matter. It can contain enough ammonia to be fatal.

You are very stressed about this, and need to take a deep breath and pause. Running off to buy products will do nothing. If you have chlorine, you have a perfectly good dechlorinator. Don't waste money on Prime.

There is a chance that ammonia built up, and killed your Corys. Your response was the right one, to change water. But having addressed the problem a bit late due to inexperience, a test kit will tell you nothing. Ammonia build ups often trigger disease. It can take a few weeks to reach a sad conclusion.

And now, the Corys that all came in together are dead. They were being kept too warm - they are Corydoras paleatus, which comes from cooler water. So 78 will have added a tiny bit of stress to them. My guess would be they all had a disease dormant in them, which is why the older paleatus from another source or bunch didn't crash out with them. It didn't carry the same problem.

So if you did 25 to 30% water changes weekly, and if the stuff you learned about the cycle and maintenance of filters etc is used by you, it should all work going into the future. If your group carried a disease, then you had awful luck. Don't overfeed, maintain the water, and the next lot could live for years.

Can you please put up a photo of the whole tank, and maybe we can help you make it less depressing? It sounds like you are having a rough time keeping fish at the moment. Let us turn that around for you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back