My River Reef 94 Marine Adventure!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

if there just pc fans get some quite ones from a pc store thats what i did with my orca tl450

just ordered one from quietpc and its a tenner but its a 60mm 2 pin like mine. says 19db but can't find anything quieter

just done some water tests and since Friday nitrate has gone up from 10 to 25, ammonia still 0 and nitrite 0

salinity is higher at .028 if that makes sense

I;ve added fish and fed more I know with the sun coral, is that the likely source of higher nitrate?

maybe,id think so but then again im not a good person for reference around here:)

Yip it most probably is a few things to check

1. When feeding frozen remember to wash food first as it contains loads of phosphates and nitrates
2. How big is your CUC ?
3. It could just be that your LR is catching up with the new bio load

If it continues I would grab a bag of purigen this should help

There is one other thing that it could be if your LR was in a tank that had nigh nitrates the rock can store these up and leech over time this is what happened to me :) Purigen sucks up the Nitrates

cheers Morri

I've never washed frozen brine mysis etc so will do so now I assume thats a case of puttingin a bowl and adding a load of water before sucking up with a baster

just got two red leg hermits , a halloween hermit, 2 turbos, 2 doves and 2 snails that look like smaller white turbos

cheers

I would add 2 more hermits and 2 Banded Trocheus or Cereiths as your CuC might not be getting all that extra food up

I have a pod filter (100 micron sieve) I tip my frozen in there then just wash it in water

just tested my ph its a brand new tetra kit. It shows it to be 7.7!! thats too low isn;t it? we have quite low water round here?

if too low what can i do to improve it?

phosphate kit (sera) is quite confusing but Iused 10ml so its 0.1mg/l which is the lowest it can be. that ok?

nitrate was 25 again despite the fact tha tI had done a 25%water change an hour before
temp 25.5 and salinity .027

I'm concerned about the ph?

Did you test the PH after or before the water change?
How are you mixing your Salt?
Not sure on the phospate reading in an ideal world you want it undectectable :)
Check the Nitrate of the water you are changing.
If your Salinity is high you need to top up the tank with RO not sure how much loss you get out of a RR?

Need above answers to work out PH issue if there is one :good:

Did you test the PH after or before the water change?
How are you mixing your Salt?
Not sure on the phospate reading in an ideal world you want it undectectable :)
Check the Nitrate of the water you are changing.
If your Salinity is high you need to top up the tank with RO not sure how much loss you get out of a RR?

Need above answers to work out PH issue if there is one :good:

cheers pal

changed the water about 9pm and tested about 10pm
I get the water ready mixed
I checked the ready mixed water on the last lot I had and the nitrates were 0

I;m going to get some RO today as I do have some salt from the guy who sold me the tank so plan is to top up a little. Do you think the salinity is a little hihg at .027?

the phosphate reading was the lowest available on the card that came with the test kit which is a good thing?

Cheers Morri

Even with pre salted water you should heat and mix it in a container/Bucket for a good 12 hours the chances are your water change changed your PH I would test again tonight lowest reading on phosphates should be, ok I am spoilt on my system as I get no reading at all on mine taking water to shop on Friday to use the ultra sensitive kit :)

Which salt have you got ?

Even with pre salted water you should heat and mix it in a container/Bucket for a good 12 hours the chances are your water change changed your PH I would test again tonight lowest reading on phosphates should be, ok I am spoilt on my system as I get no reading at all on mine taking water to shop on Friday to use the ultra sensitive kit :)

Which salt have you got ?

I heat the water but don;;t mix it, by that do you mean put an airstone in? from what I have now read if the water i get is in a sealed tub for a few hours the ph will be lower anyway?

I;m pretty certain its red sea salt. Not a huge amount left

As Seffie says I dump a nano in mine just to keep it agitated I would not worry to much about your nitrates 25 is not terrible and it could just be your LR leeching it if it was in a high Nitrate system in the past. Throw a bag of purigen in it will suck up your nitrates :)

Not a fan of Red Sea Coral pro as all they do is dump more CA in have seen water with kh off the scale when using this salt but if you have some left mix it up and use it.

When I used pre mix salt water I asked loads of questions of the LFS about the salt etc. I now use D&D H2Ocean am pleased with the salt its no more hassle mixing now infact its easy and I know what I am getting 35g per Litre job done :)

in a sealed tub for a few hours the ph will be lower anyway?

that is why Morri is suggesting you put a powerhead in, that will raise the PH :good: before you put it in the tank

Seffie x

excellent I;m hoing that after initial panic my ph will be at a far more suitable level tonight and with my newly discovered knowledge I can stop it happening again. Its such a steep :good: learning curve this marine keeping!!

Yip and by starting small its even trickier once you crack your water param`s you are half way there I am finding keeping my 100Gallon easier then my nanos but I do end up doing little jobs every night :) still tweaking my Coral postioning

Keep forgetting about your SG 1.027 is not terrible i am guessing this is down to evaporation just add a half a pint of RO to your tank until its 1.026 :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back