My Riffle Shrimp And Tanks!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks for all your comments guys, I tested the water again today, a bit more ammonia and nitrite in there. I think I'll allow the plants to lower the ammonia levels naturally as opposed to manual labor by me.
The stuff for the filter arrived today which means that as soon as ammonia drops to an acceptable amount, I can transplant established media from my 90 liter into the new 180 liter. I won't do it for a while yet though as the amount of ammonia and nitrite in the Juwel will almost certainly kill any bacteria I introduce. The duckweed most notably will help the ammonia and nitrite levels drop.
The plants are going crazy. The marble queen is massive compared to when it arrived and has grown 3 large leaves in just a few days. The mayaca has begun to take root and take to the sky as well.
I'm at the moment conceptualizing a sort of duckweed jail so that it will stay in one place and not be a hassle come water change time. Anyone have any experience with wrangling duckweed? Currently, I'm picturing a sort of floating ring that will keep the duckweed inside and at the same time will lower with the water level.

Got the first week or so of the cycle journal.
Cycling Notes
29th August - Day 1: Added 20 ml of ammonia
Notes:
Next time add 10-15 ml
Ammonia 4-8ppm
Nitrite 1-2ppm
Days 2 and 3 Do nothing.
2nd September - Day 4 Test for ammonia and nitrite.
Notes:
Ammonia and nitrite rose on account of the substrate. I'm happy to sit back and let the duckweed do its job.
Days 5 and 6 Do nothing.
5th September - Day 7 Test for ammonia and nitrite.
Notes:
Ammonia and nitrite have both fallen considerably to 1 and 1-3ish ppm respectively. I'm not sure if it is due to the duckweed or the filter itself. I am unsure of whether to add ammonia at this point.

I have bagged the established media and it is ready for transplanting into the new tank. Is it safe to do so at these levels of nitrite and ammonia? I would hate to see one of my oldest bacteria colonies die.

Personally I think its safe to add your media into the tank, as it looks like ammonia is at about 2ppm and nitrite at about 0.25ppm, so that amount of those should not overwhelm your bacteria.

Quick query, what temp is your tank and pH, kH. This has bearings on cycling so may be relevant information. 

The best people to ask about this sort of thing would be TTA, Eagles or TLM I think.

Thanks for your input Charlie. I will add the bio media today.
The tank is kept around 25 degrees and has a pH close to 7. I've not got a test kit for kH. What is it and should I buy one?

The duckweed jail is a success. Made of around 8 plastic straws and a suction cap all the duckweed is now contained. If the fish kick the duckweed out everywhere and it becomes a hassle I'll get rid of it and replace it with water sprite.

No need to get a kH test, you can look up online what your local water authority water, for water quaility. They usually list everything in your local water.

Or you could take a sample of water to your LFS and ask them to test for gH and kH perhaps, not all LFS does this though, some may charge.

I have duckweed, it is slowly taking over my water surface :lol: I dont mind it tbh.

I have enjoyed reading this and many other journals. Please keep up the good work it is inspirational (too me anyway) 

No way to find out the kH, doesn't mention it on my water companies site. Can't be too bad, the other tanks are fine.
Thanks ricbea, glad you're enjoying it. :)

So day 13 now, haven't added any ammonia since day 1 and it has definitely been doing something. Haven't had to add any ammonia as my substrate is giving off plenty. I guess I'm just gonna wait it out for now. The duckweed was out of control and formed a thick mat on top of the water surface. Within a few days it outgrew the duckweed jail and was escaping under the sides, blocking the light from plants below. I've filled almost half a bucket with the stuff and it seems to be all gone. Ammonia and nitrite are as high as my kit reads by the looks of things. I've also ordered some water sprite as nick suggested, hopefully it'll act as an ammonia sponge and shade for the fish while also being easier to control than duckweed.

The plants are all doing well, the marble queen Echinodorus is huge now. :D
The mayaca is gaining in height every day as well.
I'm a bit concerned about the Vallis, it's melting off and many of its leaves are dead or dying. Is this just because of the stress of planting and shipping? Should I do anything or just let it rest and recover?

In the other tanks, I've found a pellet brand that stopped my axolotls floating. All 3 have had no issues with staying at the bottom of the tank for over a week. I've upped their feeding and they're all getting 3 pellets each a day now. They seem to enjoy being able to remain submerged and explore all parts of the tank throughout the day.
Along with the water sprite I've ordered some more tetras for the 90 liter. The flame and rummy schools are quite reclusive I assume due to being in a rather small school. The plan is that when the new tetras arrive they will feel more comfortable and be more outgoing.

I've also ordered some water sprite
In just a few weeks 1 bit of floating water sprite can be 4 or 5 inches across with roots hanging down 5 inches into the water, You can also plant it. If you want more plants just break off a leaf and let it float.

Here's some growing in my Betta tank, She loves the stuff. or you could try Riccia.
10pvi0w.jpg

That looks good nick, can't wait until mine arrives! :D

On day 16, yesterday, I tested the water and found that the ammonia had lowered a small amount. It looked closer to 4ppm than 8. The nitrite was unchanged. So I made a commitment to do daily water changes until the ammonia and nitrite level is suitable for bacterial growth. So I changed 3 buckets, out in out in out in.
Today I tested to see how successful my initial efforts were. The ammonia is only around 2ppm now, which is a big improvement from yesterday but the nitrite is still 5ppm. What gives? Could the filter be converting ammonia to nitrite faster than nitrite into nitrate?
I'll continue my water changes and see where it takes me.
A few days ago I found snails. There must have been eggs on the plants :( , I've not the heart to squish them. I guess if they're tough enough to survive the brutal ammonia and nitrite levels they deserve to live out their lives in peace. :dunno:
Here's a picture of what the tank's looking like now:

The ammonia down again from 2ppm to 0.5 but the nitrite is STILL 5ppm. What should I do at this point? Add ammonia to prevent starvation of the bacteria or do water changes to lower nitrite concentration?

Think your water changes is confusing things, there is no need to do water changes during a fishless cycle. Doing water changes slows things down :/

I'd advise you to re-read the fishless cycle article as I ansure what stage you are at presently, how many times have you added a full ammonia dose?

I had to do a water change as the ammonia level was too high due to the substrate. It was 8ppm and I'd been advised that this was too high for bacterial growth. What I'm wondering at this point is whether the same is true for nitrite. At high levels of nitrite are the ' nitrite converting bacteria ' unable to reproduce and should I be doing water changes to get the nitrite down?

I've added one full dose of ammonia at the very start. The substrate has done the rest. I think I'll add another dose today as the ammonia is very low and I don't want to lose what little progress has been made.

The plants and fish arrived today. All of them are looking nice and healthy. The tetras have been released from the bag after temperature acclimation and they've been accepted into the group very quickly. A bit pale but that's to be expected.
In the cycling tank the ammonia is cycling over great. 2-4ppm to zero in under a day. The nitrite is still quite high but it's not enough to stall the cycle.
The lace fern looks great! Very green and lush. I hope the butterfly fish likes it as much as I do. It almost seems plastic.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back