my pond has fish lice! (argulus)

druxboyz

Reaction score
I always check my fish, and i saw a fish lice on one of them before, so i took him out and manually took off the lice. I went on vacation and came back, and i see a few more. I guess i cant manually rid my pond of them, so, what product is the best or you think is best for getting rid of them? thanks in advance.

its the argulus fish lice, greenish in color and shaped like a disc. It attaches to the fins of my koi and goldfish.

Fish Lice?? OMG hope our fish doesn't have them -_-

Sorry to hear this, Argulus are nasty things. The best way to get rid of them if to net all the fish and pull the lice off with tweezers; treat the wound with antiseptic. Then dose the pond with a medication to kill the larve. For ponds usually Metriponate is best, (1.125-1.8 mg per gallon).

argulus killed three of my best orandas a long time ago. i manually picked them off and put them in a different tank but it did no good. they all died:(
i was so mad that when i picked them off-i sprayed them with windex and put them in a cup so they would have a painful death. i know thats not right but i was so angry becasue those were my favorite fish :grr:

Fish Lice? Picking them off manually? Wouldn't that hurt the fish? And fish out of water? What do you do? Just hold the fish in ur hand?? :/ I don't understand

shmeepie said:

Fish Lice? Picking them off manually? Wouldn't that hurt the fish? And fish out of water? What do you do? Just hold the fish in ur hand?? :/ I don't understand

I am afraid its the only option, its the same with humans and Tics. You should net them and hold them firmly but not as to damage them and remove them as quickly as possible.

cover your hands in stresscoat while you do it. sometimes you can still keep the head in the water while you do it. try not to pick off too much slime coating if possible.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back