My pond and tank

Paul_MTS

MAD
Reaction score
Just wondering whats the best time release my 22 golden fudd babies that I'ved had in the tank for tad under a year. There all atleast 1inch, i'm not sure if they will benefit from being in the tank for much longer?

I'ved just cleaned the filter as suggested by my LFS dude rather than buying plants as from his experience his koi eat them all :eek: he did suggest a UV clarrifier. Well the filter was filthy it was all green mank in there so just as he thought the sponges had reached there filtering limit and the water was just passing thorugh the filter without being filtered.

I'ved now rigged the filter up on the side of the pond so I can keep a closer eye on it while getting the pond back into shape!!.

I think some of my top poond fishies have been mating as they were jumping and splashing aorund at the surface. Is this too late for the rudd and sarasa comets to be mating or is it just fun and games!!??- i just read the spawning topic stating it's a tad late for them now....

Oh and got a load of worms out of the filter and my baby rudd are currently swimming aorund the tank with half a worm sticking out there gob :lol: it's funny when they fight over 1 as they bump there heads together.

I haven't posted much recently as I'ved been busy getting ready for my new RC car which I should beable to order soon. :)

weathers great ive just added my ghost koi and mirror carp to the smaller pond gonna clean the tank out and add a heater,if you feel the conditions are right just go for it :kana: if its any help i put them out around 5:30 when it was a bit cooler,you did ask what time :lol:

lol, I was thinking month but exact time is good :D What size tank have you got?

I think my tanks only about 10g 12x12x24.

I see no problem with adding them providing none of the fish in the intended pond can eat them, or are larger enough to do so? I see you didn't get any floating plants then? Although Koi will eat Lilles and Marginals quite alot floating plants are in no danger at all IME, but either the lfs man didn't sell them or he told his Koi ate them which is very very strange as Water Hyacinths have air pockets on the bottom and the Koi would find it very hard to eat them with no teeth on their jaw lines.

I would probable put them in with the other rudd which are up with the koi, so there's the kin matsuba and albino grass carp that might like them as a snack :/ There nippy litle fellors though!!

I was planning on letting them go few weeks before we go on holiday. Which is aorund end of July I think.

Nope no floating plants, his exact words were I wouldn't bother wasting money on them as i know you have litle koi in your pond. He was pretty sure his koi would munch through a tank of stock he pointed to in about a day. I don't think Mum was too keen anyway as they die off in the winter.

He said bout 35 squids for the water clarrifier so I think we might get that I'm not sure, or would a new filter with one built in be better?

I'm pleased he steered us away from plants though, can't stand them :rofl:

Been reading up on dropsy guys and pond problems.One guy recommends putting ordinary household salt in the pond a teaspoonful to every gallon ,dad's not sure is it ok use normal salt???

Hi Cathy,

Giving any Fish a salt bath is something that most hobbyists will experience at some point in fish keeping. Sometimes it is the only way to clear the problem with your fish. However, extreme care must be taken not ti overdose the salt. For a novice an accurate saline meter is important. Too little salt and the problem won't be solver and to much and you could harm the fish. So please be careful. Generally salt baths may contain anywhere from 7% up to 20% and in extreme cases as much as 35% but that is a very dangerous level and the fish must not be left in a solution of that strength for more than a few seconds at a time. Air Stones must be used with any salt bath treatments, this helps to keep the oxygen level safe as the effect of high salt content may deplete the oxygen levels. The air stone also helps to circulate the water mixing the salt all the time and not allowing it to settle in clumps at the bottom of the bowl where it is not doing any good for the fish. You should always stay with the fish when you perform such treatment to watch for any signs of stress or if the fish begins to lay on its side. Then return the fish immediately to the pond. Never leave the fish in the salt bath as this will kill it.

It is not a good idea to add salt to the pond water as it cannot easily be removed from the system without continous large water changes. However, I do not know weather this will have any affect on Dropsy but as a last resort it may be worth a try. But first I would try to get hold of some Interpet 9, can you do so Cathy?

Ok ryan read it ,will try to get hold of some of that stuff to try it,we were a bit worried about adding the salt,never heard of doing that before in a pond.

Thanx for the advice. :thumbs:

What size tank have you got?
its about the same 24x15x12 i only use it to house smaller fish till there ready to go out re putting fish out id do it sooner rather than later to let the fish aclimatise while the weathers on side

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back