My Platy fish is not active and betta's fin is not as colorful as before..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wfykitty

Reaction score
I have 1 platy fish and a betta fish in separate tank, and both are male. I got them on October 2020.

1. Recently the platy fish is always at the bottom of the tank. And yesterday I saw his body slightly towards on one side, and he is not very active and just stayed at the bottom of the tank.
I feel either he is sick somehow or unhappy.

1609878903487.png

2. For betta fish, he is always active as normal, but I notice his fin do not look as smooth and colorful (more white parts in the fin: shown as the picture) as 4 months ago when I just brought him back to home.
I changed 15% of water in the tank every week and added the conditioner in the new water, and I feed them 2-3 times a day.

1609878929371.png

NOW:
1609878945429.png

1609878962123.png

Is there anything I need to do to make them live better? especially the platy fish, I am kind of worries about him.

REMOVE THE PLATY AND GET IT IN A HIGH PH AQUARIUM
MAKE THE BETTA HAVE LOW PH
THEY CANNOT LIVE IN SAME PH

REMOVE THE PLATY AND GET IT IN A HIGH PH AQUARIUM
MAKE THE BETTA HAVE LOW PH
THEY CANNOT LIVE IN SAME PH
They did not mention what the PH was

@wfykitty I'm not 100% sure how to help them but this information can help other members help your fish :)
What are your water parameters such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, and GH? For PH and GH you can look on your water providers page and they should have it listed.
What size tank is each fish in? What are their tank mates? Also, Welcome to the forum :)

Hi @wfykitty to be honest your betta looks drained and tied...do you have an api test kit to test both your waters as members above have mentioned, so we can help you ASAP

They did not mention what the PH was

@wfykitty I'm not 100% sure how to help them but this information can help other members help your fish :)
What are your water parameters such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, and GH? For PH and GH you can look on your water providers page and they should have it listed.
What size tank is each fish in? What are their tank mates? Also, Welcome to the forum :)
anyway if they have 1 of the ph right then the other is going to suffer

Thanks guys for the replies. They live in separate tanks. The PHs for both tank are about 7-8. Haven’t tested the rest of parameters.

Attachments

• 6A3EF2E1-2007-4BA8-A69B-7B5FCAAEDC04.jpeg
    6A3EF2E1-2007-4BA8-A69B-7B5FCAAEDC04.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 71
Can you give more information about your tank set up? Tank size, temperature, water parameters, plants and decor, et cetera
Can you give more information about your tank set up? Tank size, temperature, water parameters, plants and decor, et cetera
Yes. The tank sizes are about 1 gallon water. Both tanks have water heater with temperature of around 25. Having stones and Plants are plastic. PH 7-8.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 66
I also have other tank with 12 platy babies. They lives well so far. With the same tank settings with other two.
1609885194010.png
1609885223785.png

1609885225236.png

Yes. The tank sizes are about 1 gallon water. Both tanks have water heater with temperature of around 25. Having stones and Plants are plastic. PH 7-8.
For you betta you need to up the temp i have mine set at 27c / 79,5f if you can get it around the 79 mark it's ideal and you need silk plants for bettas as the plastic can catch them and rip their tails which would be a shame.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back