My Planted Nano

Sibelius

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've decided to start my PFK nano journal afresh as nobody commented in the Members Aquarium's and pictures forum. So far I've set up the tank and today I've re-arranged my planted and added the bogwood. The only livestock so far are 2 amano shrimp. I'm hoping to add 3 or 4 Corydoras Habrosus, some guppies and my 2 khulii loaches. I hope you like the photos, and any comments, espcially on aquascaping, stock and design would be most appreciated.

This photo was taken earlier this afternoon, the tank is currently just like this.
9Woodin.jpg

My favourite plant, my Ammania (mini species.)
10Ammania.jpg

A shrimp
11Shrimp.jpg

A nice shot of my wood.
12wood.jpg

I hope you like!

That's amazon frogbit. I ordered all my plants from Greenline, and because they import from malaysia, they had to send me a mother plant. Upon phoning them I have found out that floating the plant in my tank will trick the plant into thinking that the wet season has come, then rosettes will form and the larger leaves will die back, leaving the traditional floating plant. (or that's the plan anyway!)

That's amazon frogbit. I ordered all my plants from Greenline, and because they import from malaysia, they had to send me a mother plant. Upon phoning them I have found out that floating the plant in my tank will trick the plant into thinking that the wet season has come, then rosettes will form and the larger leaves will die back, leaving the traditional floating plant. (or that's the plan anyway!)

Good luck with that. Forgot to say in my first post nice tank by the way :)

I have some mini Amania from Greenline in my tank. There was a lot of dying off at first, but I have about nine stems left that are looking very healthy. Your stems look a lot healthier than the ones I bought. Good luck with them and with the rest of your set up. Look foreward to seeing it develop.

Dave.

Thanks for your comments. My Ammania had quite a die off to start with too, but after 3 days or so it's picked up, hopefully the new growth will start to appear and bush out. What do all you people think of my stocking ideas? Any other ideas would be most welcome.

Light levels: 1 11W bulb. I think that gives me about 2 WPG. I havn't got a CO2 system at present, although the simple Sera CO2 starter set is on mail order and should arrive by Thursday. My Substrate is silver sand, with Tetra Complete Substrate underneath. I've given 1 dose of Tropica Master Grow (about 4ml, maybe less) and I'll experiment with how often works best. Being such a small tank, even with my pocket money income, I'm hoping to be able to keep the tank fairly high-tech, and (needing an excuse for a break from revision this year ahead) I'll do regular water changes and filter maintenance (which is a simple filter with 2 foams in for biological and mechanical filtering). Probably 20% a week, and filter cleaning every 3 weeks or so.

What do you think of my stocking ideas? 3 or 4 Corydoras Habrosus, 2 khulii loaches and say, 7 guppies?

So, I am guessing your capacity is around 20l. I think the WPG rule isn`t particularly relevant for a tank of this size and you will need more light in there. Have a look at other nano journals for an idea of what levels to aim for. I don`t have any experience with nanos so wouldn`t like to make any recommendations.

You will be overstocking on fish; forget the Guppies I say.

The Corydoras and loaches will like the sand, but Khulii Loaches will bury themselves and may mix up your substrate.

hmm. Thanks for your response Dave. I'd probably be more inclined to drop the loaches, as they might out-grow a 1ft cube, whereas the guppies and corys will only reach an inch. Also they'll probably do less messing around with the substrate.

I've put my otocinclus from my other tank in my cube. He'll be instead of my khulii loaches, who will stay downstairs. My new stock list is as follows:

6 guppies. Unsure of exactly how many.
4 Corydoras Habrosus
3 Otocinclus
2 Amano Shrimp

Currently just the shrimp and 1 oto are in my tank, I havn't yet bought the guppies or corys so I'd love any comments, suggestions or alternatives on the main part of my stocking list.

More pictures to follow soon. By the way, what do you think of my aquascaping presently?

Time for an update. The frogbit is doing well, and so are my 1 oto and the 2 shrimp. However, the oto will certainly be less shy when he's got some companions, hopefully I'll be getting some on Saturday.
This is a quick shot of the whole tank:
13Wholetank16thJan.jpg

Unfortunately I've had a spot of hair algae on my Ammania. The livestock havn't shown any interest in this thus far, and I'm hoping that it won't become a problem. CO2 should help, incidentally the Sera set arrived today, and it would be in my tank by now except that the stopper for the canister was missing and I don't have a substitue of the right size, so I'll contact the supliers tomorrow about that.
14HairAlgae1.jpg

I tried to take some shots looking down on the plants, see what you think of these. (and apologies for the light getting in the way!)
17Lookingdown1.jpg

18Lookingdown2.jpg

and this is a nice picture (at least in my opinion) looking in from the right of the tank.
20Plantingfromright.jpg

Please tell me what you think! and how I can improve it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back