My Peacock Gudgeon Laid Eggs and Now What?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

A Fish Named Sue

Reaction score
I have a 26 US planted tank that I started a couple months ago, with 11 Neon Tetras, a male swordtail, 4 cherry shrimp, and 3 Peacock Gudgeons... Monday night one of my female gudgeons layed eggs, but not in the cave I have placed for her. She laid them in the cave of my mangrove decoration. It has been about 4 days now and I have made infusoria for the fry, although i donā€™t expect them to hatch for a couple more days. I wouldā€™ve separated the pair to a different tank, but I didnā€™t realize the female was carrying eggs until it was a little late.

The male is doing a wonderful job fathering the eggs, swimming in and out of the cave scaring my nosy swordtail and fanning the eggs, but now I want to remove the eggs. THE PROBLEM IS, I donā€™t know how because there are a lot of small channels in the mangrove cave.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE TRULY APPRECIATED!!! :D
(There is a picture of the mangrove cave below)

Sincerely,
A Fish Named Sue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 113
The male does indeed look after the eggs. He will suck them to keep them clean - the eggs are on little stalks which are attached to the cave. One day, when he sucks the eggs they will come away and the fry will emerge - he will then spit the fry out into the tank to fend for itself. If your tank is anything like mine, the fry will then promptly been eaten by the other fish in the tank :(

You can try to remove the whole piece or decor to a separate tank/net. If you move the male as well, he may or may not be so stressed by the move that he'll eat the eggs.

When I had these fish I discovered that they prefer to spawn in places so small you'd wonder how they could fit into them.

Haha yes they love tight places. Thanks so much for the advice I think I will try to move the decoration into a net in that tank.

Thanks again!
A Fish Named Sue

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back