My New Tank :)

jackyb07s4

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 24, 2009
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Glasgow-Scotland
I recentley set up my new tank :) I'm really pleased with it and so far all has been going well (currentley fishless). It has been up and running since Friday and up to now, all the readings on my test kit have been 0. I also added some thing that increases the biological cycle rate, making it possible to add fish after just 3 days of setting up the tank. However I do plan to wait untill a full two weeks are up, just to make sure. Yet on Sunday night, I noticed the water had become rather cloudy. My dad thinks since the oxygen pump is very strong, It gives the feeling the tank is cloudy. All the readings are still 0. Why is this?

Really need some help guys. Thanks in advance!
 
I recentley set up my new tank :) I'm really pleased with it and so far all has been going well (currentley fishless). It has been up and running since Friday and up to now, all the readings on my test kit have been 0. I also added some thing that increases the biological cycle rate, making it possible to add fish after just 3 days of setting up the tank. However I do plan to wait untill a full two weeks are up, just to make sure. Yet on Sunday night, I noticed the water had become rather cloudy. My dad thinks since the oxygen pump is very strong, It gives the feeling the tank is cloudy. All the readings are still 0. Why is this?

Really need some help guys. Thanks in advance!


The cloudiness is more or less a bacteria bloom, which will only last a couple days.

What stuff did you add to the tank to increase the biological filtration?

Are you adding ammonia to the tank as well, and what kind of test kit are you using?

Have you read the topic about "Fishless cycling" in the "New to the Hobby" section? This will answer most of your questions. Here is the link. [topic="100"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861[/topic]

The reason they are zero is because you have not put any ammonia into the tank yet; and it is ammonia that the bacteria need to live.

-FHM
 
I recentley set up my new tank :) I'm really pleased with it and so far all has been going well (currentley fishless). It has been up and running since Friday and up to now, all the readings on my test kit have been 0. I also added some thing that increases the biological cycle rate, making it possible to add fish after just 3 days of setting up the tank. However I do plan to wait untill a full two weeks are up, just to make sure. Yet on Sunday night, I noticed the water had become rather cloudy. My dad thinks since the oxygen pump is very strong, It gives the feeling the tank is cloudy. All the readings are still 0. Why is this?

Really need some help guys. Thanks in advance!


The cloudiness is more or less a bacteria bloom, which will only last a couple days.

What stuff did you add to the tank to increase the biological filtration?

Are you adding ammonia to the tank as well, and what kind of test kit are you using?

Have you read the topic about "Fishless cycling" in the "New to the Hobby" section? This will answer most of your questions. Here is the link. [topic="100"][URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861[/topic][/URL]

The reason they are zero is because you have not put any ammonia into the tank yet; and it is ammonia that the bacteria need to live.

-FHM


Sorry forgot to mention, I have added ammonia. Also I added the cycle stuff that came with my Fluval 125 tank.
 
What is the name of the stuff you have added?

And how much ammonia did you add to the tank?

-FHM
 
I never heard of Nutrafin Cycle before. Do you have to keep it refrigerate like bio spira? The only stuff I have ever heard at speeding up the biological filtration is bio spira.

You should add up to 5 ppm of ammonia and check your water conditions everyday. When your tank is breaking down ammonia from 5 ppm to 0 ppm in 12 hours, you then know you have a cycled tank.

-FHM
 
nutrafin cycle is a gimmick a complete waste of money, there is no point in adding it as it is not the bacteria we want, theyve stopped producing bio spira :( they only do a marine version but thats not the bacteria we want
 
nutrafin cycle is a gimmick a complete waste of money, there is no point in adding it as it is not the bacteria we want, theyve stopped producing bio spira :( they only do a marine version but thats not the bacteria we want


I was sad when I found out that they stopped making bio spira. Does anyone know why that is?

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top