My New Shrimp Cube.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

After a bit of a waterchange. Finally the wood is sinking.
s3hxef.jpg

I think this will do for bottom plants.

291ke38.jpg

Silly me forgot to wash the substrate, But the water is slowly clearing up.
15hzb09.jpg

The cube is now home to 2 BN pleco fry.
sdzhg9.jpg

The HOB filter is useless.

no82ug.jpg

They work much better when the tank is full. That lip at the bottom of the waterfall shoots the water towards the front of the tank. It could be underpowered, though.

20 LT Cube and the HOB was Aqua one Clear view 100.

Just read through the whole thread, nic little tank set up :nod:. Found it pretty interesting to see all the changes being made over time.

I like the idea of the mesh and the moss growing so you can create a sort of carpet , how is that panning out?
Hard to tell from your recent pictures.

And yes, Galaxy rasboras and Celestial Pearl danios are the same specie of fish, Galaxy being the old name I believe. And most folk I think use Celestial Pearl Danios and a lot of LFS, in UK anyway call them Celstials. But I'll be honest, i dont think a 20 litre cube is big enough for these little guys, despite being s small specie, they are pretty active and the males can be aggressive towards other males in small confines, I personally keep CPD's in a 3 foot tank and honestly.

Black Crystal are truly beautiful and being SS grade, thats going to be real nice but probably more expensive and harder to care for.
The higher the grade of shrimps, the more specific conditions they need to be in really.
Crystal Shrimps in general can be quite difficult to look after as they require soft acidic water, pH up to 6.8 max, gH 4 - 6 and kH 1-2. Very specific waters.

Poor water quaility is often the cause of the demise of many crystal shrimps. So it is important that these shrimps are in these specific tank set up, crystal are pretty delicate. Just as long as you're aware and have done your research as well as prepared for that, then you're good to go.

I am a fan of HOB filters as they are easily accessible and the the filters are pretty adaptable for most types of media. So am a little unsure why you say the HOB is useless, you do not mention why you don't like it.

Though generally speaking, dedicated shrimp keepers tend to use sponge filters as these are much less unlikely to suck up shrimplets. So either of these are pretty good to use for this type of set up :)

The native Zebra shrimps that Baccus mentions, they do look pretty good but I cant really comment on those due to lack of knowledge on them. Hopefully you can find reliable inforamtion on these :)

The Aqua One Clear view is a terrible type of HOB, I had one and hated it with a PASSION from the first attempt at setting it up. I now have all just the standard Aquaone type and have never had an issue with them. Aqua World type HOB comes a close second.
The only internal filter I would ever really trust with shrimp is the old corner wool/ fibre air driven ones that years ago was all you could get

I like the idea of the mesh and the moss growing so you can create a sort of carpet , how is that panning out?
Good, What I did was place the mesh full of moss on the bottom as you know then stacked the wood etc on top, I can see moss starting to poke its head up in all the gaps.

The Aqua One Clear view is a terrible type of HOB,
23 dollars latter and I know that now.
Over all its not a bad unit, My biggest issue with it there is no room to put any media in. 

Aqua One clear view 100 ( 100 lph ) on a 20 litre cube is perfect for a Betta as you can turn it right down, I just wish I could put a handful of media in it.

I may be wrong here please correct me if I am.

Filtration and flow are not the same thing in my book, Just because a filter can move a gazillion gallons an hour don't mean the water is filtered. By filtering I mean the bacteria having a chance to remove nasties.

My 2 foot tank has a 800 lph canister filter on it yet the flow rate is only 250 lph, but the water must flow thru 3 trays, 1 with a coarse sponge, and 2 trays of Bio Home Media. Biohome Ultimate Media | GreatWave Engineering

The only internal filter I would ever really trust with shrimp is the old corner wool/ fibre air driven ones that years ago was all you could get
Like this?
BRAND NEW IN THE BOX CORNER FILTER FOR SMALL AQUARIUMS

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back