My New Gardneri Spawning

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Rex740

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was trying to get some pictures of my new pair of Gardneri that I bought 2 days ago (first time with killies) and after 5 minutes the male tried to spawn. Unfortunately, my camera was in a very high ISO mode as I was trying to take pictures of fast fish. I was afraid they might stop any second so I switched to video mode with out changing the ISO. Horrible mistake, sorry for the bad quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hs1Ih9Nlj8

By the way, does anyone know which exact Gardneri species this is?

Cute video! Aren't they just so sweet when they're spawning!? It looks like the male puts his arm (fin) around her. :wub:

Nice little video!

Are the Gardneri western Africa killifish? I'm now trying to build up a stock plan using mainly Zaire River / western Africa biotope.
Any ideas on how big they are now and how big they get? They really need to be >5cm (ideally ~9cm) so that they do not become an expensive snack for others planned stock!
Do they normally keep to the top of the tank? I'm hoping to find a killi species that can usually be a top dweller and "hold its ground" against an African Butterfly Fish or two ;)

not sure how big butterfly fish get but a good top dweller would be the golden panchax,aka golden wonder.
i have these and they very rarely explore below an inch under.
they get about 2inches roughly and would eat anything smaller than itself.
although it is best to keep killis in a seperate speciese tank.
rex740 keep up the good work.
regards mike

p.s the video is still good quality just think it could have been alot worse
and the fish look to me like Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianus look it up
on google images and let us no how close to yours they are.

N0body Of the Goat: Yeah, I would recommend the Golden Panchax as when I had one he was always at the very top and he was fine with my African Butterfly. Just make sure the Golden Panchax is big atleast, mine was a little over 2 inches. Also this species of Gardneri gets to about 4-5 cm.

Spike123: I searched it on google and only one picture looked like it, is my strand that rare or something?

Edit: Just found out from the breeder that this species is Fp. Gardneri Lafia Gold.

glad you found it mate
i use google to get all
the info i can on mine
before i get them or if i
have a question regarding
them after purchase.
also posting on here is good
i just tend to find google as
a quicker response.
glad it helped anyway.
spike

Most reactions