My New Fluval Edge 46L, Bit Of Advice Needed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dan123

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've had my tropical fish tank set up for about 3 months now. Not exactly new but I have a few questions I need to ask.

A bit about the tank first, currently in there is 2 Wagtail Platy's, 4 Guppies (2 yellow tail 2 orange tail), 2 neon tetras, 1 Harlequin Rasbora (other one got trapped in the filter
sad.png
)  and finally 4 endler's livebearer.

Regarding plants I have no idea what they are called, but I have a tall one on the right side of the tank growing right up to the top. On the bottom I have some moss type plant growing out of some oak wood which looks good, and on the left hand side I have a bigger piece of oak wood with 3 different plants growing from it. Have a look at the photo's and you'l see what I mean

Now, I have a few things I am abit curious about since owning the tank, firstly the plant on the right hand side has grown a hell of a lot since It's been set up, probably doubled in size, should I trim part of the plant with scissors or should I leave it alone? It is covering a bit of the opening at the top so the plants at the bottom aren't getting as much light as they should.

Secondly, the plant growing out of the oak wood at the bottom on the left hand side seems to be struggling, I do give it daily fertaliser but there are brown stems and leaves and it's only getting worse from what I can see so clearly it isn't getting enough light. How hard is it to put additional lighting on and would you recommend it?

Thirdly, there are bubbles at the top of the tank which don't seem to be going away, I've had it set up for a few months so they should have gone by now?

And lastly is there anything YOU would change about my tank? I.e would you add different fish or different plants or do you think it looks fine as it is ?

Thanks for reading and check out the photo's !

I can't seem to be able to upload photo's as they are all too big, I've uploaded them to photobucket though and here's the link http://s1355.beta.photobucket.com/user/Dan1234510/library/#/user/Dan1234510/library/?&_suid=135905726019606906929490046554

Firstly I would recommend returning the neon and rasbora. They really need to be in groups of six or more each.
As for your plants, the big one is an Amazon sword, you can cut off some of the leaves, from the outside edge. Personally I'd replace it with something else, maybe a cryptocorine wendetti. The plants on the large piece of wood are an anubias toward the top, and trident java fern at the bottom. Neither of these plants grow very fast and don't need strong lighting. Older leaves will often die back to be replaced by new ones. Just remove the brown ones and all should be fine.

I like the sword, mine never grow as well as yours despite co2 and fertilisers! I think it's nice and natural, well done. The other plants will be fine, they do not need as much light.

Before I had scrolled down I was also going to comment on your lack of shoals for your neon and harlequin. The harlequins grow bigger than the neons and neons are more slender so if you return or rehome the harlequin, you may be able to add another 4 neons and keep them more happy. They will also look lovely.

The Edge is a stunning tank but a fishkeeper's nightmare - hard to clean and tricky not to overstock. However I think you could probably get away with the additional neons if you were good at doing water changes, at least one full bucket per week.

By the way, the bubbles at the top of the tank are going to happen. You can invest in a 'floaty' algae cleaner to try and shift them, but it's just the way the tank is. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Thanks for the replies!  I see what your saying about the neons, they were my very first fish in the tank so I wouldn't want to part with them lol.  Do you not think I could get away with keeping the Harlequin and still adding a couple of neon tetras or should I just return it?  I have kept on top of looking after the tank and do regular water changes and cleaning the filter every 2 weeks. The algae grows pretty fast on the glass though so I have bought a magnetic algae cleaner and thats working wonders.

Rasbora, tetras, danios, barbs, loaches, rainbowfish, cory cats are all types of fish that don't like to be alone. They feel more comfortable and behave more "naturally" in groups of 6 or more.
A lone fish may live a long time, but its a stressful life. I would highly recommend returning the harlequin and getting more neons.
I know you didn't ask about the list I gave, but its just a heads up for your next tank...
Trust me with the success you're having soon you'll develop MTS.

You shouldn't have to clean the filter that often. Swish the sponge and bag of ceramic in tank water every now and then and it should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back