My New Crab Tank! (With Pics!)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes they are very intersting, I could see how they would easily escape without a lid!  I think it is 'possible' to breed them but they come from costal swamps so I think conditions would need to be perfect.  Maybe I could try in a few years!!

They are super cute, I too keep seeing the little crabbles at my fishy stores and I'm always tempted.  But in my current set up it's just not feasible.  I'd be afraid they'd eat my fish, and escape, and I have no way to give them out of water tank access.  Someday maybe.

I thought I would post an update on my crab tank just incase anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future who is interested in keeping Red Clawed Crabs.

I have slowly started adding Marine Salt to the water changes weekly to turn the water brackish.  I now add around 4 level tablespoons of marine salt to 10Litres of water which the crab seems very happy with, far more active!  I added the salt starting at 2 TBSP and upped it to 4TBSP over 2 weeks and the bio-filter seems to have remained working, also my Anubias seem to cope with that much salt (although the pond snails now float
rofl.gif
).  The crab has eaten other plants but Anubias he avoids...for now.

Around 1.5weeks of having the crabs I noticed the larger one would actively hunt the smaller one and constantly attack him - this is probably down to territory or maybe he was just hungry!  The larger crab was hidden most of the time with the smaller one at the front of the tank.  I made the decision to return the larger crab to the store and just keep one crab as I thought as soon as one of them moults it will be the end....This was the best thing I could have done!  The single crab is now very active and takes food directly from tweezers (or from Kebab/BBQ Skewer), they particularly love white fish (non-oily)! He is great fun to feed as he 'attacks' the skewer, even when feeding with veggies!

The crabs are often seen eating bits of the wood in the tank so I think this somehow supplements their diet and its one of their favourite places to hang out.

In terms of access to land, the crabs tend to head to the corners to climb so if you cannot make a beach type effect then it seems that a feature in the corner works best.  I am hoping to upgrade the tank later and create a better effect with a beach. Oh and yes, they can climb the aquarium sealent on the side of the tank and even the cables for heaters+filter so be warned!

If I make any changes or more observations I will update this thread in the future
thumbs-up.gif

EDIT: One more point they move very slow until something nice smelling comes near them (including small snails) and they attack VERY quickly so I would certainly not advise keeping anything with them, I would have thought shrimps may get away but fish are likely to be food!

Some excellent tips for anyone interested in keeping these crabs.

My GF still loves them and may push to have a crab tank one day but will certainly keep those tips in mind.

Thanks!

Very nice setup. The crabs are cute little guys!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back