My new african dwarf frog is shedding weekly, is this normal?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jedimildred54

Reaction score
I recently got 2 african dwarf frogs for a 5 gallon tank. One frog, the biggest one, has shed once a week since I got him (it's been about 3 weeks). He always gets all the skin off after a day. There is no redness. A week ago the water was cloudy so I changed half the water. Also I've switched filter catridges. The pet store tested the water and said it was high in ammonia a week ago. They had me buy Prime brand conditioner (I used Tetra Aquasafe when setting up). I got test strips and test every day. I checked nitrate, nitrites, hardness, alkalinity, and pH. All are in safe range. He is the more active out of the two and he eats normal. Is there a possibility it is a disease? Or is it normal for what appears to be a full grown frog to shed every week? The other frog has shed just once in my 3 weeks having them.

Also I give them freeze dried blood worms every 2 days, and hand feed with tongs.

20201001_210005.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, it is normal for them to shed often. Mine used to shed like every other week. Second of all, your tank is too small. Two ADFs should be in a 10 gallon minimum. Otherwise, the one is the picture looks healthy. Just upgrade them if you can. Good job for having two! They are social creatures and need friends.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back