My Managerie of Tanks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

How do you do the plants up top?
A few ways.

I saved one of those pots that come with the plants from the petstore. I ziptied the dandelions to it and have it sitting inside my filter baffle.
20200521_232241.jpg

My strawberry plant is poked through a plastic lid to a candy cup and then i have a clip on suction cup attaching it to the glass so it stays put (otherwise it would float loosely around in the current)
20200521_232305.jpg

And lucky bamboo is bound together with an elastic band with a clip. Attached to one of the cords.
20200521_232315.jpg

And my light is suspended higher by a DIY wire shelf. Tank is lidless. Too expensive to find a custom lid for this tank, ive been sitting on some ideas, but gonna get the plants i want settled first.
20200521_233154.jpg

A few ways.

I saved one of those pots that come with the plants from the petstore. I ziptied the dandelions to it and have it sitting inside my filter baffle.
View attachment 104783

My strawberry plant is poked through a plastic lid to a candy cup and then i have a clip on suction cup attaching it to the glass so it stays put (otherwise it would float loosely around in the current)
View attachment 104782

And lucky bamboo is bound together with an elastic band with a clip. Attached to one of the cords.
View attachment 104784

And my light is suspended higher by a DIY wire shelf. Tank is lidless. Too expensive to find a custom lid for this tank, ive been sitting on some ideas, but gonna get the plants i want settled first.
View attachment 104781
It looks great :) gonna have to try this with my lid less 12 gallon

It looks great :) gonna have to try this with my lid less 12 gallon
Dandelion is super easy. Just pull a plant from the ground (no pesticides on it though!). Make sure most of the root is intact. Wash the dirt off, then make sure the roots are in the water of the tank. They could be done like the strawberry plant too. Theyre free, easy, and grow very fast. Mine started as small 2 inch leaves 2 weeks ago.

And edible if you like dandelion (i find it bitter, but young leaves arent so bitter). My parrots like the leaves and flowers to eat

Have you gotten any strawberry fruits yet?
Not off the one in the tank. I just added it this week. But its a small plant from our back garden which has produced strawberries every year... though this one was a stray runner so im not 100% if theyre our normal domestic ones or if theyre the wild ones that also grow in our yard. Itll be neat to see. The plant seems to like the tank water as it has not wilted at all and has stayed very perky.

Ive been tempted to try some raspberry too but those grow MASSIVE and have thorns lol but we got some herbs in the backyard starting. Once a bit bigger i will move a few inside onto the tank too.

Dandelion is super easy. Just pull a plant from the ground (no pesticides on it though!). Make sure most of the root is intact. Wash the dirt off, then make sure the roots are in the water of the tank. They could be done like the strawberry plant too. Theyre free, easy, and grow very fast. Mine started as small 2 inch leaves 2 weeks ago.

And edible if you like dandelion (i find it bitter, but young leaves arent so bitter). My parrots like the leaves and flowers to eat
Definitely. I would suggest microgreens as well. They thrive in lots of water and you get new leaves every 7 days. Great for salad.
I have strawberries and dandelions and other things I might try

Kind of inspired by that one YouTuber who used strawberry plants on their Betta tank.

Kind of inspired by that one YouTuber who used strawberry plants on their Betta tank.
Thats where i learned strawberries can be used safely. And someone one MFK gave me the dandelion idea.

It would make for good nitrate control though... plus, it helps my husband's hobby of cooking. Fresh herbs once theyre ready :p

I wanna do some lettuce too.

Thats where i learned strawberries can be used safely. And someone one MFK gave me the dandelion idea.

It would make for good nitrate control though... plus, it helps my husband's hobby of cooking. Fresh herbs once theyre ready :p

I wanna do some lettuce too.
Lettuce does great in water! I cant wait to see what you come up with and what you decide to do :)

I wonder if tomatoes would be a good idea? I know they like well watered roots like strawberries

The strawberry plant needs to be lifted out of the water. Their roots need air and do better with most of the roots out of water.

NCAquatics - All of these are stunning!

But I particularly like your first one for snails - it's a little jewel in a jar! I was thinking of setting up something similar to try to breed daphnia in (if I can get breeding stock - Iive daphnia are hard to get hold of these days), but I never imagined it was possible to make such an attractive feature of a one gallon jar.

All of your other aquaria are very artistic, too. (2nd favourite - 10g nano!)

Kudos to you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back