My honey gourami is lying on the ground?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Renzo77

Reaction score
I've had my gourami for quite a while now and recently he'd lie on the substrate of my tank, not moving a single fin or his tail. He seems to be able to swim when it sees i'm about to give him food and that's when he jumps back to life and acts as if he was fine. He has no trouble eating and still has an appetite. I'm pretty sure that his colour has started to fade a little.

Pls tell me what could be causing this and how i can treat it, I had a betta once with similar symptoms and died a few days after.

The gourami is in a 20 gallon planted tank with another honey gourami and 6 cardinal tetras (they seem to be relatively peaceful and don't tend to nip or bite each other).

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture and short video of the fish?
Set your camera's resolution to its lowest setting so the images are small enough to fit on here.
If the video is too big for this website, put it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can go to YouTube to view it.

Have you checked the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a picture and short video of the fish?
Set your camera's resolution to its lowest setting so the images are small enough to fit on here.
If the video is too big for this website, put it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can go to YouTube to view it.

Have you checked the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Here's a video of my gourami's condition so far. His conditions kind of gotten worse and i'm pretty sure he has dropsy. Just today I noticed his belly swell a little and his scales rose and were pointy. I'm pretty sure they weren't there yesterday when i checked.

Amonia - about 0.2ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - couldn't get results for
Ph - 7.5

I know that dropsy is very fatal and that there's no cure for it but if i were able to do at least something to help give a slight chance of hope for him what could you suggest?

Here's a video of my gourami's condition so far. His conditions kind of gotten worse and i'm pretty sure he has dropsy. Just today I noticed his belly swell a little and his scales rose and were pointy. I'm pretty sure they weren't there yesterday when i checked.

Amonia - about 0.2ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - couldn't get results for
Ph - 7.5

I know that dropsy is very fatal and that there's no cure for it but if i were able to do at least something to help give a slight chance of hope for him what could you suggest?

I had 2 sparkling gouramis with the same condition. Unfortunately, once it progresses too far there isn't a lot you can do to save them. Dropsy may be caused by many different diseases which can be transmitted to other fish.

I would put them in another tank and treat for a bacterial infection with API Melafix. Also, add 1/2 tspn salt per gallon to help alleviate your gourami's discomfort caused by bloating. Make sure you are giving them high quality food, keep the water conditions excellent and wait to see if the condition improves. As far as I'm aware, that's really as much as you can do.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back