tank age: Fully cycled, one full week with fish
pH: 6
ammonia:none
nitrite:0
nitrate:<10 mg/l
kH:20od
gH:>4od
tank temp:24 degrees celcius

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): One fish was swimming strangely, then stopping and falling, rolling in the water, and also unable to swim normally. He also had damage to his back fin. Died the day after. He had a few reddish areas just behind his fin. 5 fish have died. One fish was opening and closing his mouth constantly after I fed them some shelled pea (because i thought they might have bloat)

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 20% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants: 10x Harlequin Rasboras (the infected), 1 nerite snail, 3 amano shrimp, 2 assassin snails

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): 10x Harlequin Rasboras (the infected), 1 nerite snail

Exposure to chemicals: Tetra Aquasafe, API Prevent Algae, Tetra EasyBalance.

Last edited:
Fully cycled, one full week with fish
I am hoping for a little clarification on this.
Does this mean the take was fully cycled for 5 weeks then you added fish and they have been in it for 1 week after that cycle or does it mean you did a fish-in cycle for just 1 week? Knowing that will help me answer your post better.

I am hoping for a little clarification on this.
Does this mean the take was fully cycled for 5 weeks then you added fish and they have been in it for 1 week after that cycle or does it mean you did a fish-in cycle for just 1 week? Knowing that will help me answer your post better.
I fully cycled it before adding fish

Tank size: 54l, 60x30x30 cm
tank age: Fully cycled, one full week with fish
pH: 6
ammonia:none
nitrite:0
nitrate:<10 mg/l
kH:20od
gH:>4od
tank temp:24 degrees celcius

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): One fish was swimming strangely, then stopping and falling, rolling in the water, and also unable to swim normally. He also had damage to his back fin. Died the day after. He had a few reddish areas just behind his fin. 5 fish have died. One fish was opening and closing his mouth constantly after I fed them some shelled pea (because i thought they might have bloat)

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 20% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants: 10x Harlequin Rasboras (the infected), 1 nerite snail, 3 amano shrimp, 2 assassin snails

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): 10x Harlequin Rasboras (the infected), 1 nerite snail

Exposure to chemicals: Tetra Aquasafe, API Prevent Algae, Tetra EasyBalance, interpet anti internal bacteria +

Any chance of a picture and short 60 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

Any chance of a picture and short 60 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.
Okay.
By the way, I'm pretty much certain it's dropsy. Also I had to euthanise another fish because he was too far gone. Here's a link

Your nitrate levels look fine to me, just as a sidenote; I wouldn't be concerned about that. Your PH seems a bit low but that's probably not the problem. My guess is that they were sick when you purchased them.

Your nitrate levels look fine to me, just as a sidenote; I wouldn't be concerned about that. Your PH seems a bit low but that's probably not the problem. My guess is that they were sick when you purchased them.
Yeah probably. Some of the fish looked a little bloated in the shop. We thought they were pregnant. Turns out they probably had dropsy. And believe me I know it isn't bloat. Bloat doesn't spread, kill quickly, or cause them to start rolling around except with a very bad case. Also peas didn't work

I watched your video. Nice tank. Where did you get your driftwood? Sometimes items like driftwood in the tank can leach toxins in the tank. I wonder if the water has enough oxygen; you could try an airstone, but I still think the most likely scenario is that they were purchased sick.

I watched your video. Nice tank. Where did you get your driftwood? Sometimes items like driftwood in the tank can leach toxins in the tank. I wonder if the water has enough oxygen; you could try an airstone, but I still think the most likely scenario is that they were purchased sick.
A shop called Petstop. But toxins I find unlikely since I used one of the driftwood pieces before and the other was from them shop and had a little tag mentioning it was clean of toxins, so I imagine it had been cleaned well.

Most reactions

Back