My guppy is dying!! Advice needed!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

katie1214

Reaction score
Ok, so a while ago I noticed a lump growing on my one male guppy's side. Today, he can barely swim and is turning from his usual yellow to a silvery blue. I know he's past the point of return, but am unsure of what to do. I have two other guppies in the tank that seem, for the most part, fairly healthy. Should I take the sick one out now to prevent anything from spreading, even though he's still alive? Or would it not hurt to leave him in there until he finally goes to rest, then take him out immediately. I would feel bad abandoning him when he is still swimming, but I don't want my other fish to get sick.

Attachments

• IMG_9647.JPG
    IMG_9647.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Euthanise the fish now before it dies to prevent the other fish from picking at his body and possibly catching something. The best way to do it is a quick blow to the head with a solid object, however that can be messy. If you can find some clove oil you can put the fish into a small container of tank water and add 1 drop of clove oil. Aerate or stir the oil into the water. Wait about 30 seconds then add another drop and stir. Repeat until the fish stops breathing then put the container of water (with the fish in) into the freezer and leave it there until frozen solid. After that bury the iceblock in the garden.

I'm so sorry for your fish, if you don't want it to be in pain anymore, you can euthanize it like Colin said. But, if you want to try giving it a chance by treating it, first, diagnose this problem, and find out a possible treatment. If it is kind of fuzzy, it should be fungus. But this may be a tumor or wound that hasn't been noticed since now and has developed to this stage. Again, I'm sorry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back