My German Blue Rams Are Murderers!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RaechalLee

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So my pair of german blue rams have taken out 3 rams now.

The first ram was pretty old so I wasn't sure if he died from being old or if they killed him. The second ram I bought with the male I have now and they use to all get along and now he has been missing for a couple days so I can only assume he is a goner.

Today I saw them both taking turns pecking and ramming into my other female, she was at the top of my tank and kind of swimming on her side. I scooped her out really quick and put her in an emergency tank with a little filter and some plants but she eventually died a couple hours later.

This pair has spawned before but they don't have eggs or anything currently.

I also have two pairs of angels in my tank, a gold gourami, an albino bristlenose pleco, a guppy and a yellow spiny eel.

I really want another pair of rams but I think at this point my current pair would just kill them. What do you think?

Has anyone ever had an experience like this where one pair kept killing the other rams?

All of my other fish get along pretty well. The angels peck at each other from time to time but that is it.

What size is the tank?

Normally when a pair "Pairs" they'll take out other rams. Do not mix any type of ram with german blues. Just get a pair and keep it like that, They can be insanely terrible for causing death in tanks.

And I would say no to another pair of them.

techen said:
What size is the tank?

Normally when a pair "Pairs" they'll take out other rams. Do not mix any type of ram with german blues. Just get a pair and keep it like that, They can be insanely terrible for causing death in tanks.

Oh yeah, my tank is 75 gallons.

I think I will leave them be.

yea if you have any pair and there is a similar fish breed to what you have they'll kill it.
you have to have a really big tank if you want to keep multiple breeds, and even then it can be challenging.

RaechalLee said:

What size is the tank?

With that size of tank it could be possible to have two pairs :p

techen said:

What size is the tank?

With that size of tank it could be possible to have two pairs
tongue2.gif

I think my female ram is dead now. I'm not sure but I haven't seen her today and she usually is always by the male since they are a pair. My angels had wrigglers and one of them was being very protective. Is it possible that the pair of angels killed the female overnight? A lot of the wrigglers are missing. Maybe 20 left.

Rams can be territorial but in a 75 gallon they shouldn't be able to kill each other. First you need to recognize that fish don't really kill each other like this in the wild. They will fight till one runs off, which of course cant happen in our tanks. However a 75 is still large enough to contain at least 2 ram pairs. The one ram pair will usually chase off others but wouldn't follow all the way to the other end of the tank for a kill. The angels are another story though. The are big and strong enough that a few pecks could severely injure and possibly be fatal to one of your rams.

Can you possibly post a picture of your tank? With enough hiding places, boundaries and breaks in the line of sight, the rams should be able to escape to safety quite easily.

AeonMapa said:
Rams can be territorial but in a 75 gallon they shouldn't be able to kill each other. First you need to recognize that fish don't really kill each other like this in the wild. They will fight till one runs off, which of course cant happen in our tanks. However a 75 is still large enough to contain at least 2 ram pairs. The one ram pair will usually chase off others but wouldn't follow all the way to the other end of the tank for a kill. The angels are another story though. The are big and strong enough that a few pecks could severely injure and possibly be fatal to one of your rams.

Can you possibly post a picture of your tank? With enough hiding places, boundaries and breaks in the line of sight, the rams should be able to escape to safety quite easily.

I am pretty sure my pair of rams killed at least one of my female rams, she was very small and I watched the pair peck at the female over and over and chase her all throughout the tank. She started floating on her side and they continued to peck at her until I could scoop her out and put her in another tank but she died a few hours later.

Here is my tank. There are plenty of spaces to hide I think. My male ram is pretty large. It could have been my angels killing the other rams but I've never seen my angels bother my rams at all. They occasionally peck at each other but then leave each other alone.

sqo1vs.jpg

9ia3c3.jpg

Anyways, I am not going to add anymore rams for now haha.

that's a beautiful tank and that ram looks huge! what is he 3 inches? I'm sorry to hear about them being so violent. I have 3 pairs in my 50 gallon and they've never hurt each other badly at all.. With cichlids sometimes you get what is called a rogue. These are fish that exhibit temperaments and aggression far beyond what is usual for the species. That might be the case here. I guess for now you gotta stick with those two rams

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back