My Future Plan....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder
Reaction score
so currently in my 30g, i have 3 giant danios, 2 angels, 1 green tiger barb, 2 panda barbs, a common pleco, a paradise fish, and a pygmy cory. sounds like an overstocked battlefield, right? and i agree, but the fighting hasnt started in this setup and its been like this for months. i have an excuse for everything (like the pleco was sold to me as a bristlenose, and the panda barbs were tiny when i got them). anyway, i want to take this burden off my back, and get rid of the pleco, danios, and barbs. here my future plan here. How does it sound?
3 angels
6 cories
6 serpae tetras
6 odessa barbs
1 paradise fish

i looked it up on AQ advisor and it looked pretty good, just a bit overstocked (which believe me i can deal with fine :lol: ) but for now i am just afraid that everything will turn on the angels and turn them to dust. the male angel in recent has been looking like he just got back from 'Nam and is always in a fetal position saying "you ain't seen nothin'!" i was also considering maybe trading in a few cories in my future plan for a ram of some sort or two. thanks for the advice (and im assuming much criticism)

If two of the angels pair off, they will kill the third in a matter of hours (it might not be when they actually pair, but one day you will come home to dead fish).

Odessa barbs are on the big side for that tank, it would be better if you got a smaller barb (if you want barbs specifically): you are replacing a 10cm giant danio with a 10cm barb, why?

Generally, the stocking looks much better though. Personally, I would have 10 serpae tetras for the schooling fish.

could i have like 5 serpaes and 5 something else like rummy nose or head toe light? would they still school? and could i take out a few of something and throw some rams in there?

and could i still atleast keep the 2 angels i have now?

Mixing tetras can be done yes, however they won't be certain to school together. They might, they might not. IME i've found them not to school when i mixed rummynose with red eye tetras.

On the contrary with 3 angelfish i am. People say 3 is the worst number to have with angels due to two possibly pairing. I myself have never had an issue. I kept 3 angels together for 2 years without a single squabble. Admittedly none of them paired so it could be different in your case, but that was my experience.

when i went to AQ advisor, it said the tank wouldn't be overstocked with the big odessa barbs, so if i were to take them out of the equasion i figure i would have more room for a few more tetras, so could i get 6 serpaes and 6 runny nose or head toe light or harlequin rasboras? rather than having the odessas?

On the contrary with 3 angelfish i am. People say 3 is the worst number to have with angels due to two possibly pairing. I myself have never had an issue. I kept 3 angels together for 2 years without a single squabble. Admittedly none of them paired so it could be different in your case, but that was my experience.
I have a group of 4 keyholes (who are arguably much more peaceful than angels) in a much larger tank. They have been together for 5 years now, through various tanks, house moves, etc. The pair have always spawned regularly with the other two in the same tank, never any problems of any description. A few weeks ago I came home to the two shredded: no fins, chunks of meat missing, bones visible in places. (The two have now recovered without any problems.) So again, for most people I would definitely say "no" to threes in small tanks.

when i went to AQ advisor, it said the tank wouldn't be overstocked with the big odessa barbs, so if i were to take them out of the equasion i figure i would have more room for a few more tetras, so could i get 6 serpaes and 6 runny nose or head toe light or harlequin rasboras? rather than having the odessas?
Yes, that would work.

could i also have like 5 serpaes and 5 of whatever (rummy-nose, harlequins) and rams, angels, a paradise and a gourami? or would the paradise beat up the gourami or vice versa?

serpaes are the only fish i have ever returned to the shop they are like mini piranah and shredded the fins off most of my fish in a 5ft tank over night i wouldn't trust them in with angels and if you must have them get a bigger group then they can fight amongst themselves and may leave the other fish alone.

I have had good success with serpaes and angels, but only when serpaes have been in a group of 10+

Seriously, there is usually more difference between 5 and 6 than most people would imagine. You're pushing it with that stocking. In my honest opinion, it is poor enough that I would not try it myself.

I have had good success with serpaes and angels, but only when serpaes have been in a group of 10+

Seriously, there is usually more difference between 5 and 6 than most people would imagine. You're pushing it with that stocking. In my honest opinion, it is poor enough that I would not try it myself.
i don't know, this tank has seen worse days:
1 angels
1 blood parrot
2 convicts, M & F
1 elec blue jd
1 oscar
1 firemouth
1 rusty cichlid
1 pseudotropheus socolofi
1 labidochromis caerules
now THAT"S an overstocked World War 3!

so whatever i screw up at age 12 can't possibly be as bad as age 10

Oh yes, yes it can.. but I am sure you won't as I hope you learn from experience!

or i also though of this:
3 x angels
2 x rams (not sure what kind but one will auto be a gbr)
1 x paradise fish
4 x pygmy cories

Dont give up on the barbs! they have got to be my favourite fish... Although Odessa are some of the bigger ones, and they really gon't get on well with Angels.
Get more green tigers, maybe some checkered and ditch the angels... Thats what i would do anyway...

Most reactions

Back