My Fluval Edge Tank - With Fish!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The pictures of the filter certainly look like an Aquaclear mini/20 model. I use the same thing on our quarantine tank and it was definately slower to fishless cycle than mid-sized external cannister filters. I think on very small filters the chunks of ceramic can't really form a "bed" that slows the water enough (dwell time is an important filter design parameter but with very small designs you've more or less hit the limit I think.) Thus the surface areas of the biomedia are left a little "cleaner," offering less ammonia and oxygen to the biofilms in contrast to slower filters where the effective concentration might get a slight bit higher.. anyway mostly just an idle thought. For me this type filter did eventually reach and meet it's qualifying.

At the point you are now potentially reaching (little 0.25 blips of one or the other, but usually nitrite at the 12 hour test) you really begin to have the option of cutting it short and doing the first stocking. We rarely see any bad spikes post-introduction when a cycle has gone this long and is fading down and you can easily change water in a small tank like that. Additionally, it's really only full or overstocking that would likely send you into spikes, not a more typical under-stocking if that's what you're planning.

~~waterdrop~~

Cheers WD.

I have been getting to the point where I think, enough is enough and I can't do much more.

Ideally I'd like to just get a small shoal of Tetras or something in there, to see how they cope. Definitely not gonna over-stock that's for sure, so maybe 4-5 cardinals. Will have to wait until next week though as I'm away on Saturday until Monday.

OK, been monitoring the best I can & each day the morning 12 hour test has been approx 0.25-0.50 ppm Ammonia, Nitrite always 0.00ppm.

Done a 99% water change today (couldn't get the last drop out) and then re-filled & re-tested.

pH - 7.6
pH High - 8.0
Ammonia - 0.00ppm
Nitrite - 0.00ppm
Nitrate - 40-80ppm (hard to tell the exact colour)

The ammonia & nitrite are expected figures.

Ok, fish are in!

5 Neons & the doorman Crystal Shrimp have entered the tank.

The neons are shoaling together fine & whizzing round the tank, and seem ok. 1 was very lonesome to start with & inactive but once they grouped up it seemed fine & moving about ok.

Shrimp, both are investigating & foraging within the sand substrate although it looks like they are struggling move over the sand, especially if there's an incline.

Not sure when they were fed last, but they seem to be pecking at any floating bits in the tank so not sure whether to feed them or not yet.

Also, not 100% sure what the shrimp will eat. Got some Nutrafin Max flake for the Tetras.

Now with Fish!

IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg

Just fed my Tetras & Shrimp & the tetras have a belly like a 1980's darts player!

:lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back