My fish is missing an eye!!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What water conditioner do you use?

A cycled tank should have 0 ammonia.

I've had a few one-eyed fish, they did just fine, with the right tankmates and regular WC's.
I use quick api start for bacteria and api stress coat as conditioner. I always have .25 reading for ammonia. I use the api master test kit. I even have ammonia reducing media (in place of the charcoal bag) in my tank and I still always read .25. Unless I’m slightly color blind reading the chart.

I use quick api start for bacteria and api stress coat as conditioner. I always have .25 reading for ammonia. I use the api master test kit. I even have ammonia reducing media (in place of the charcoal bag) in my tank and I still always read .25. Unless I’m slightly color blind reading the chart.
Have you tested the tapwater without treating it? Some people get a reading for ammonium (much safer for fish than ammonia) in their tapwater all the time, and just have to ignore that when testing their tank!

I'm not great with the chemistry, @Essjay can explain much better than I can!

Chloramine in the tap water also can give you a false positive for ammonia with the tests too.

You don't need the bottled bacteria any more....when you run out of the Stress Coat, get some of this: https://www.seachem.com/prime.php

Does your tap water have ammonia?
Chloramine in the tap water also can give you a false positive for ammonia with the tests too.
Would chloramine be in well water? I have a well. I would say yes the reading is .25 on the straight tap water. The colors are so difficult. Maybe I’ll get a strip test. I just tested my new 75 gallon tank and that’s .25 as well. 0 nitrites. 5 nitrates. 7.4 ph.

I use the tap water to fill the tanks. Our well doesn’t have a filter or softener. I only filter the water we drink from fridge. Otherwise I guess the natural bed rock is our filter? I never quite understood that but I get my well water tested and it’s always fine. And was fine during inspection when we bought. The guy explained why the no filter was okay and it sounded like it made sense. I forget now.

Got a pic of the eye!

Attachments

• 09943ECA-9066-4502-BC98-28535DC27149.jpeg
    09943ECA-9066-4502-BC98-28535DC27149.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 44987B3E-818C-440A-A5AB-75928B5EF3D8.jpeg
    44987B3E-818C-440A-A5AB-75928B5EF3D8.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 40
Yeah thats a fresh wound, has he been fighting with other fish at all?

Yeah thats a fresh wound, has he been fighting with other fish at all?
He’s always acted weird. Like he always swam sort of sideways and would do this flicker move with his body to other fish. I did have a very aggressive rainbow in there that I finally moved but he never would hurt anyone. Just dart after them to flash his stripe thing. But maybe he did hurt the green fish. That’s the only aggression I ever saw.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back